NIS Norton/Symantec firewall compromised for MicroSoft

Just read this on the Mozilla(Firefox) General Forum (Topic: Firewall Poster: b52balmer Date: May Wed 24th 2006 7:15am

formatting link
Would appear MicroSoft have struck a deal with Norton/Synantec for their (NIS) firewall to ignore changes to IE.

Reply to
blah
Loading thread data ...

On 24 May 2006 16:14:06 GMT, blah spoketh

Apart from a statement from an anonymous poster making this claim, there's nothing there that indicates the presence of such a deal.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Lars M. Hansen wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

errr... I guess I'm the 'anonymous poster' you refer to? The clue to what I suggested is in that thread on the Mozilla forum: a reply by 'rtmjr50', a regular contributor. He states that when he updates Firefox to a new version NIS blocks it from running/connecting until he updates it (gives the new version permission) with the firewall. I don't use NIS but my firewall does the same for any app which is new, changed or updated until I renew it's permissions with my firewall. That's part of it's job and I'd be suspicious if it didn't. The point (or rather query) he (rtmjr50) posed is that when he updated IE6 to IE7 Norton firewall simply let it run and connect to the net. I just had a look at your site and you seem to be a tech savvy guy. Got any ideas why Norton's firewall would ignore changes to IE (apart from the obvious: that it's written into the program to ignore changes to MS products, in this case IE). In my opinion that = a compromised firewall.

You say "...there's nothing there that indicates the presence of such a deal."

? Well..give it 2 secs thought.

Reply to
blah

On 27 May 2006 03:04:39 GMT, blah spoketh

The "anonymous" poster would be whoever posted under "anonymous" at mozillazine.org. I have no way of knowing if that was you or someone else.

The reason why I'm not buying this (yet) is that a) the post was made anonymously, and b) there has been no corroborating stories to suggest that what he/she said is correct or due to human error.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.