Symantec Firewall - Unfathomable Behaviour

Dear Internet,

I hope someone out there can give me some advice 'cause I'm really pulling my hair out.

I have a small network acessing the Internet via a Symantec hardware VPN/Firewall and a Netgear router. I've had no problems at all with the connection, until recently.

For a long, uninteresting and unimportant reason, I had to change the IP subnet of the network from 192.168.90.x to 192.168.91.x - all the machines on the network have Static IP addresses so this was quite a simple task. I did this and everything worked as normal.

Until, that is, I tried to get a laptop with a Dynamic address connected through the network. I turned on DHCP on the Firewall and, whilst the laptop was being assigned an IP address, it couldn't access any resources beyond the firewall. I then remembered that when changing the network IP range I'd forgotten to change the router itself, so I logged onto that and changed its IP address.

That's when things got confusing:

Now, I can't access the router on its new address unless the firewall is removed from the equation. With the firewall unplugged and its DHCP turned on, the static and Dynamic machines can access the internet.

With the firewall plugged in, the static machines can access the internet and route traffic through the router but can't access it directly. Disabling the DHCP on the firewall also stops things working even on the static machines.

What am I missing?

Thanks so much in advance,

Matt Lodder mattlodderathotmaildotcom

Reply to
Matt Volatile
Loading thread data ...

Matt Volatile wrote: [network device chaos]

Somebody who understands ;-)

Really,

it's very difficult to fix such problems without having access to the devices. Some things also sound a little bit curious, you're telling.

Especially the point, that you have an DHCP server on your firewall, is strange.

Perhaps it would be a good idea for you to hire anybody geographically near to you, who is used to solve such problems.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.