Newbee needs security advice

Hello, i have just been given the following instructions to help iradicate spyware...but i am unsure if these instructions are genuine or not. I have of course heard of the program ad-aware but am still pretty suss. I am worried they are could be malicious and will damage my pc. If there is anyone on this group who knows a little about spyware i would realy apreciate advice on this before i follow the instructions.

PS These instructions have come from the *HIJACKTHIS* software forum after i downloaded and ran their program.....Please see below and advise:.....Many thanks in advance.......A

Please do this first:

Download and run CWShredder. Use the FIX-button.

Download the latest version of Ad-Aware:

formatting link
After installing AAW, and before running the program. Please be sure to update the reference file following the instructions here:
formatting link
Reconfigure Ad-Aware for Full Scan:

Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.

Click the "Scanning" button. Under Drives, Folders and Files, select "Scan within Archives". Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.

Under Memory & Registry, select all options. Click the "Advanced" button. Under "Log-file detail level", select all options. Click the "Tweaks" button.

Under "Scanning Engine", select the following: "Unload recognized processes during scanning." Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following: "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot." Click on 'Proceed' to save these Preferences.

Run the Ad-Aware scan and allow it to remove everything it finds and then REBOOT to allow it to finish. If you haven't done so Please Scan with Spybot Search and Destroy:

1. Downloaded and Install Spybot S&D, accepting the Default Settings

1. In the Menu Bar at the top of the Spybot window you will see 'Mode'. Make certain that 'default mode' has a check mark beside it.

2. Close ALL windows except Spybot S&D

1. Click the button to ?Search for Updates' and download and install the Updates.

2. Next click the button ?Check for Problems'

1. When Spybot is complete, it will be showing ?RED' (RED) entries ?BLACK' entries and ?GREEN' (GREEN) entries in the window

2. Make certain there is a check mark beside all of the RED (RED) entries ONLY.

1. Choose ?Fix Selected Problems' and allow Spybot to fix the RED (RED) entries.

2. REBOOT to complete the scan. Reboot, make a new HijackThis log and post it here.
Reply to
alpha
Loading thread data ...

The instructions appear to be genuine. There is nothing there (the programs or in the specific instructions) that is malicious that I can see.

Reply to
dak

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (alpha) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

It sounds resonable I have heaed of it but never used it.

I have used it.

It will make you do that as I rcall.

nothing wrong

You should go with it there is nothing wrong that I can see.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If anyone on the forum gave dangerous advise, you might want to step back ... major disruption will take place. In others, you're in safe hands in that forum.

But is always safe to get a second opinion. Good luck.

Reply to
Anonymous

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look at it. I run Ad-Aware once in a Blue Moon to remove *cookies* off of my machines. That's about all that it's done for me and you can not be attacked by *cookie* as it cannot contain executables. ;-) I had IIS compromised by the Code Red worm that initiated me coming to this NG and learning what I needed to do in security and FW(s) back in 2001 to protect my setup and I have learned a lot from this NG.

I see you're learning a few things as one of the Top Dogs has taken interest in you. ;-)

BTW, I did get on the phone with Linksys about some of the points about the SX41 since I am still on the books for support. The BEFW11S4 finally died a couple of months back of being on 24/7 365 since 2001. I may get the SX41 and use it as a port forwarder and VPN solution into the job in front of the WG FB SOHO 6. I should have gotten a 6tc that had the VPN solution and it cost way too much to upgrade and install the VPN on the 6. I may also get a wireless AP and plug it into the SX41 keeping it out of the safe zone of the WG and letting the SX 41 be the gateway backed up by the WG.

You should invest in a UPS/AVR system they are cheap now of days to protect that router and other equipment. The router doesn't like spikes on the line from other household appliances switching on and off all the time. The router likes clean and constant power and will go defective due to a bad power situation on a routine basis.

You're in the right NG to get the info you need and AV is AV. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.