looking for help, junk in my msn explorer.....

hi, i'm new here & pretty new w/ computers; seems while surfing awhile back, i went somewhere i shouldn't have; now, everytime i open the browser, it's set to a "new homepage" which i think is an advertisement; i try to reset it, & it just keeps coming back; suggestions on what to do, where to look? any help appreciated! thanks! jeff

Reply to
Jeff
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like you have been hijacked. Give HijackThis a go..:

formatting link

Reply to
edard

Hijackthis is very good, but you can trash Windows if you don't know what you're doing with it.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Try Adaware from:

formatting link
And Spybot Search and Destroy from:
formatting link
Download, install and update them, then run them.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Be Very Careful with Search and Destroy. It can get a bit aggressive and can take down your system. BTDT. Adaware is more conservative. I can't recall when I last disagreed with its recommended actions. Search and Destroy requires careful scrutiny of each suggested action. I very seldom ever bother anymore.

John

Reply to
Neon John

I use it all the time on *lots* of different computers. Not had an issue like you describe yet. Dumb luck? :p

Plus, the immunization that isn't available in Adaware's free version is a nice plus for Spybot.

Reply to
Rôgêr

THANK YOU ALL for your suggestions; so, I downloaded the spybot, went to advanced user selections, after having updated, & run a couple times...... went to the browser, & did not find the problem url listed there..... as it suggested i might; so, i changed all the ones i thought were related.... turned it back to "yahoo.com" as startup page, & every stinkin' time i close, then reopen the browser, it's back to this page....

http: / / here4search.com/enter.htm?id=72

(i put a couple spaces in the / / . . . . . )

anyhow, on the browser, i tried under tools, internet options, security, to add the above url into the restriced sites, & there, it tells me that site is "allowed" in some other location on my computer, that i must first go there, & remove, or disallow it, then come back & restrict it.....

i've tried just about every combination of turning off, or rebooting, or re-scanning, or..... i've run out, so,

any more suggestions? i'm "bugged" by this damn thing! (pun intended......)

thanks all! jeff

Reply to
Jeff

turned

close,

computer,

rebooting,

I had the same problem, used hijackthis. at this link

formatting link
can enter the log results and it will analyze the log. I was skeptical at first but, just dont delete anything that looks important.....baby steps

Reply to
Airhead

thanks for that advice; i tried it, several times, "fixed" ONLY the files shown as "must fix" & they kept returning; tried fixing, then rebooting computer, tried fixing several times; they just keep coming back! HELP ????!!!! seems weird to me, then again, i'm pretty new at this stuff; any other ideas?

Reply to
Jeff

It appears that for a newbie, you've done an exceptional job at getting a browser hijacked. This hijacker seems to not have an easy fix (other than format/reinstall) but you may want to read over this link:

formatting link

Reply to
Rôgêr

Hi, not sure if that's a compliment, or ????? yep, i do too much surfing, if that's what you mean; anyhow, just wanted to pass on, i emailed microsoft online help, & got a very pleasant reply (see below); i had already tried a couple of those you suggested, to no avail, but lo & behold, this ad-aware se worked (altho, i had to reboot the puter x 2 after trying it out.... the others, i rebooted several times, to no avail....) anyhow, just wanted to update you all.... thanks again for your responses to my problems, i appreciate it!!

so, did i just surf too too much? is that how i did the great job of getting hijacked? lemme know....

thanks again! jeff

Subject: RE:'RTCProd=007-358-114'Questions_About_Online_Support To: "Jeff" Hello Jeff, Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service. My name is Jean and from your e-mail, I understand that your computer's homepage keeps changing. I realize the inconvenience this has caused.

For more information regarding the deceptive software, please click the link given below: Article:"Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software"

formatting link
You can use the Ad-aware 6 program to permanently remove the Spyware programs from the computer. You can download this program from the link given below:
formatting link
After the installation of Ad-aware 6, please perform the following steps:

1. Run Ad-aware 6, in the main window, use the webupdate component implemented in Ad-aware to install the latest update.
  2. After updating the software, click Scan Now, and click Next.
  3. Ad-aware 6 will find the Spyware programs, and ask if you want to delete them.
  4. Delete them.
Reply to
Jeff

Hey, in reviewing the earlier posts, that is one of the ones you had recommended! too bad i didn't try that one first! well, thanks again!!! jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yep, good ol' Microsoft can't be fooled, they're right on top of things. Except they're repeatedly recommending Adaware 6 which was made obsolete several months ago. The new version is Adaware SE Personal. But glad you got things sorted.

Reply to
Rôgêr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.