need software firewall for windows 98se

omg you're probably calling one of the most security consciousness people in this group an ignorant child ?

Reply to
goarilla
Loading thread data ...

save

Reply to
CdLSRN

Maybe but to use a not-very-good non-IT analogy, if I asked "how can I make my house more secure, what sort of lock should I buy for my back door", it's not very helpful to have someone, albeit someone who deeply understands property security, tell you something like "you shouldn't have a back door in the first place".

Reply to
Wilf

So adjust your killfile and move on. Sheesh.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

the suggestion to try oldapps is VALID, a lot of current version firewalls no longer support running well in 98, I beleive thats why you were pointed that direction. ANY protection is better then none

Chris Davies wrote:

Reply to
Hp

Take a look at:

formatting link
have been running Sygate on my Win98 for years with excellent results. Casey

Reply to
Casey

An outdated personal firewall running on an outdated operating system, both of which will not receive any kind of support or updates anymore. Not a reasonable thing to do when it comes to computer security.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

If it works for what you want it to, it's not outdated. Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?

Reply to
ASCII

Hey, what could go wrong. Malware not man blamed in child abuse download case

formatting link

Reply to
Bit Twister

That referenced case has nothing to do with continuing company support for their software products, nor the abilities of any firewall.

Allowing malware residence and subsequent installation on any machine is all within the domain of the operator. IOW: Don't download dodgy files and even if you do don't install (click on) them.

Reply to
ASCII

Nobody said it did. You said "Who needs 'support' for a system that's working?" Article shows what could happen. Running an obsolete OS and/or security software is an accident just waiting to happen.

That is a crap statement. IIRC Outlook Express would install malware when you opened it to see if you had mail. You did not have to open the email.

No effort required on the user's part when ad servers get cracked and provide malware automagically.

formatting link

No clicking necessary when cracked webpage

formatting link
onmouseover instead of onclick commands in the webpage.

Micro$not has had to issue several patches to turn off automagically running code based on extension instead of forcing user interaction.

Hell, antivirus software is becoming obsolete.

formatting link

Reply to
Bit Twister

Thank goodness the UK has sense about them. In the US, you would be convicted, malware or NOT.

Reply to
Cunnilingus

Anyone using OE without closing the gaping holes deserves whatever crawls in

Yes it is the user that puts a dodgy insecure browser on their system and provides a gateway to whatever is out there. You need to snap out of it, wake up, and get a clue

if you setup your system to automatically infect you, saving you the trouble of looking at whatever hits your inbox or allow your browser to open wide and take whatever a web page offers, then you're beyond help

piss poor configuration allows this

Because you couldn't figure out how to disable the vulnerabilities yourself? had to get someone up in Redmond to do it for you eh?

It's been that way since the first 0-day malware was released

If you think the big bad internet is so dangerous, how about posting a link for me to click? I'm not worried because you're probably just parroting some paranoid AV sales pitch, and even if you know of a killer site, it won't do anything to my system's current config. It didn't come that way or get that way by itself, I educated myself to hostile situations and set about to protect myself.

Reply to
ASCII

If you have a genuine need to run Windows 98, maybe you should use another device that separates the 98 box from the rest of the network. You could still use the 98 box, but put it behind say an OpenBSD box running PF, squid, and spamd perhaps.

You could also use a hardware firewall device to separate it from the rest of the network.

The likelyhood of you actually finding what you are asking for is extremely low so this is probably your best option.

Absolute OpenBSD: UNIX for the Practical Paranoid by Michael Lucas

Reply to
spam

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.