Any wireless PCI adapters that support WPA on Windows 98?

Does anyone know of any wireless PCI adapters that let you use WPA encryption on Windows 98?

Reply to
void.no.spam.com
Loading thread data ...

Nope. New machines can be had for next to nothing these days, ditch the 98 box.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Check out the Belkin 54G PCI cards.

I have one and at one stage it was in a 98SE machine. My network is WPA but as it was a triple boot PC (98, XP and Linux) I can't remember if I got round to hooking the network to 98SE - which was only used to play old games.

The quick install guide says it is OK for 98SE.

The same card is now setup for Ubuntu - and it actually connects with WPA :-)

Wow, Linux has come a long way, but not quite there yet.

Cheers

Rob

Reply to
me here

That is environmentally unfriendly.

Reply to
Tim

Not necessarily. A Vax 8550 had a power consumption of about 3.5Kw, 64MB of memory and roughly the computing power of a very old pentium.

Admittedly it didn't run Win98, but then there's always /some/ good news...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I'm talking about not only power consumption but disposal of a still apparently useful older computer and the energy needed to manufacture the new computer which will just become obsolete in 5 years anyway.| If the person finds the old machine still meets their needs, may as well keep it.

Reply to
Tim

Of course there are or were WPA adapters for 98SE

formatting link
Most required a supplicant to be installed, either by the manufacturer or via third party support.

Franc, myself, and others have had discussions on the issue in this group as: Wireless access Windows 98SE another: Networking trouble with wireless adapter another: Wireless and Windows98se

Reply to
MEB

Over some measurable period of time, the ownership cost will outweigh the cost of scrapping.

... including this, eventually.

Often I agree, however if the older machine takes 3.5kW and the new one takes 100W, its not such an easy sum...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

I'd do this by buying a wireless bridge, or even better a router that supported bridge mode. No drivers required then.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Load up linux on it then. But then even ubuntu has minimum system requirements.

Not if their needs include WPA, apparently.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.