Need simple (one click) cookie preserver/deleter

I searched a few months ago for a simple cookie manager, and I didn't like any of them. I just searched again, and still couldn't find any.

What I want is a program that lets me keep a list of the cookies I WANT, and will delete everything else with the click of a button. I have not found this functionality in ANY of the Freeware/Shareware cookies managers I located. This seems to me to be the most important function - you need cookies so the pages will load okay, but when you leave there should be a button (in an app, but preferably part of the browser) to DELETE all non-preserved cookies, so any tracking cookies are gone. This seems to be a simple function, and what is the most needed. With this functionaly you wouldn't really need to block any tracking cookes, if you were willing the click the delete button when you left an area. Functionality for easlily moving cookies to the preserved area (for login info, preferences, ...) should be built in.

For example, CookieMonster CLAIMS to do this, but it doesn't. Do the following test: 1) Go to

formatting link
click 'localized listings' on the top right. Type in your e-mail address (new/registered as appropriate) and log in. You should get a page with the local listings.

2) View the cookies via Netscape (I'm using 7.2). There are around 17 tvguide cookies. Close this window. 3) Load CookieMonster, and set options/cookie paths so only Netscape has a directory. Cookie Monster will display most, but not all, of the tvguide cookies. Delete the cookies. The window is now blank. 4) Reopen netscapes cookie manager - the cookes are STILL THERE! Close the window. Lets see if they are really still there. Select view/reload to reload the page. The page reloads fine. Now reopen Netscape's cookie manager. Delete the tvguide cookies. Now select view/reload again. You now get the 'listings setup page' - the cookies are NOW deleted. CookieMonster DID NOT WORK. (I don't care if there's some trick to get it to work, like you have to close Netscape, or you have to exit CookieMonster.)

I found one app that claims to delete non-preserved cookies on bootup, but that doesn't interest me. I want to be able to do it as needed, without having to go into Netscapes cookie manager to manually delete them - and it hard to keep track of all the ones you want...

If anyone knows of software that will do this, please let me know.

Reply to
jed_c45
Loading thread data ...

What I am trying to figure out here is how someone gets hooked into this cookie control stuff.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The only thing I've found that comes close to this is the Opera web browser. Allows settings for accepting or rejecting by domain/site individually, accepting with updates until closing Opera (or manual purge), individual settings for invalid paths and third party, etc.

Version 8.5+ is now completely free with no ad banners.

Reply to
Borked Pseudo Mailed

Firefox lets you set required options without stuffing about with third party apps.

Tools|Options Click on Privacy icon and choose Cookies tab.

Reply to
Thrasher Remailer

Try CookieWall from AnalogX. Free and simple.

formatting link

Reply to
Fitz

Firefox Cookie Culler extension does that from a toolbar. You can protect the cookies you want to save and chuck the rest, while browsing. If the browser is set to chuck all cookies when it closes - protected cookies will remain in memory.

Firefox, out of the box, sans extensions, will do the same thing, but it takes more clicking.

Reply to

jed snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote

It's Christmas 'Spot the Thicko'. Requests for one click programs are frequently followed by complaints that a program has done it's own thing without confirmation and f***ed up something. Typically the idiot with the long list of obscure requirements demands the program be free too.

You've had you fun - now f*ck off.

Reply to
Far Canal

In alt.privacy.spyware, 2 wrote the following spam:

formatting link

Reply to
Beauregard T. Shagnasty

I don't think the requirements are obscure at all - kill all non-preserved cookies on demand. I think a lot of people would like that. Of course it will take more than one click to select the cookies you want to preserve.

If someone were to make a shareware app that did this they would probably end up making a good deal of money from it. People spend hours keeping spyware programs updated for the latest cookies. With this app you wouldn't need to bother - just click a button when you leave a web page. This would also solve the problem of some pages not working when cookies are disabled - what you want to stop is longer term tracking of your activities.

Reply to
jed_c45

Does Firefox work all the streaming media and Java out there? With 3rd party apps I got Netscape working with everything I come across. IE is easier in this regard, but I don't like it, and it's significantly slower on some pages.

Reply to
jed_c45

I don't think the requirements are obscure at all - kill all non-preserved cookies on demand. I think a lot of people would like that. Of course it will take more than one click to select the cookies you want to preserve.

If someone were to make a shareware app that did this they would probably end up making a good deal of money from it. People spend hours keeping spyware programs updated for the latest cookies. With this app you wouldn't need to bother - just click a button when you leave a web page. This would also solve the problem of some pages not working when cookies are disabled - what you want to stop is longer term tracking of your activities.

Reply to
jed_c45

ieclean from Privacy Software Corp. does this. It also does a lot more. I don't know if its $40 price is worth it to you. It was to me, because I like its other functions.

Reply to
David Arnstein

I forgot:

formatting link

Reply to
David Arnstein

Someone already did. See my earlier reply concerning Cookie Wall. It's free and it's one click with the ability to automatically block selected cookies without further intervention.

Reply to
Fitz

Seems to work the Java OK. I never use streaming media so can't say. I would guess if Netscape meets your needs FF will also.

I'm using the "no script" extension so it defaults to disabling Java and I only let the sites I trust to use scripting. Only ran into one site that didn't work for me, an on line retailer - that may have been a matter of allowing third party sites to use scripts (there were three sites besides the one I was visiting showing in the no script menu). I switched that site over to Opera and it worked.

Reply to

I visited the website, and they say it doesn't work with Netscape. My notes from several months ago say it didn't do what I wanted (I used IE back then). You say it can "block selected cookies" - that's not what I want. I don't want to block any cookies. I want to set up a list of protected cookies, and then be able to delete all other cookies at any time with just a click or two. Maybe CookieWall has this functionality now for IE users, but I'm not going to bother trying it as I use Netscape.

I downloaded the Firefox browser and installed the CookieCuller extension, as suggested by someone. That works.

Reply to
jed_c45

I downloaded the Firefox browser and installed the CookieCuller extension. That works. I put the CookieCuller icon on the toolbar - one click to open it. Then I click 'Remove all cookies' - and then all non-protected cookies are gone. (It should be renamed to 'Remove all non-protected cookes', as that's what it does...) Firefox is a lot like Netscape, and it's faster. I'm testing it on all my favorite websites. So far I am very impressed, and I may be switching over to Firefox.

Reply to
jed_c45

I did the same thing. Netscape was my default browser, but I found myself using FF more and more - so switched over.

There seems to be an extension that does whatever you can imagine . . . that's what really makes it useful.

Try the Read Easily extension if you have the time. It is a one click way to disable style sheets on the site you're visiting. Very handy for the web designers that insist on using dark blue lettering against a black background.

And "ad blocker" - gets rid of the clutter and there's an automatic update that can download a list of banners to eliminate.

Reply to

Opera does this without any third party assistance needed.

Set cookies to "as specified", and any that are added to the list without your specifically choosing "always accept" will be deleted when Opera is closed, or when you "Delete Private Data".

Reply to
Borked Pseudo Mailed

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.