MS VPN through SonicWall TZ-170...

I need to allow a vendor to make a VPN connection to a server on our network. We have a SonicWall TZ-170 with the VPN option, but the vendor can't install the SonicWall VPN client on their computer. How can I set this up using the MS VPN client?

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

I would assume you would use IPsec that's on the Win2K and up O/S(s) (host) the server and (client) the user machine -machine to machine or software to software VPN connection.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You may need to do some more research I am sure you can use Google to find out the information you need.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

It sounds like what you want to do is to allow a VPN 'through' the SonicWALL 'to' a server located on the private (protected) side. And by reference to port 1723 which is used by MS PPTP, I am almost certain that is what you want to do. If so then you'll need to ensure that you've defined the Firewall policy to allow PPTP (TCP port 1723) inbound from the 'net to the PPTP server and you should be good to go.

Reply to
Don Kelloway

Don't forget GRE - it won't work without GRE. Many firewalls have a PPTP Rule that you can enable. You also need to make sure that both sides have different subnets or you will have problems.

Reply to
Leythos

That is true of many firewalls. Fortunately the SonicWALL will automatically allow this protocol through if the predefined PPTP service is added to the rules. At least that is my understanding of the SonicWALL.

Reply to
Don Kelloway

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.