Linksys router with westell DSL modem problems

I recently got a DSL line and decided to add a router for firewall/security. I have a Westell 6100 DSL modem and now a Linksys BEFSX41 router.

The problem I am having is that I can't access certian webpages that I need to access. Specifically I can't access windows update and Most online banking pages. I can access some secure "https" site but others I can't reach at all. Most web pages load fine.

I have googled search strings for hours and can't find anything that helps.

Does anybody know what the problem is? How does one go about troubleshooting this sort of problem?

Thanks

Reply to
BDS
Loading thread data ...

Additionally, If I connect directly to the DSL modem everything works fine. It's just when I hook up the router that I loose connection to some websites.

Reply to
BDS

Are you sure the 6100 is operating in "modem" or "bridge" mode instead of router mode, which is probably default. You can tell by where you enter the username/passwd. If it is in the 6100, it is router, and you are doing double NATing. If in the Linksys you are setup properly, and should be OK. How did you setup the Linksys - just default out of the box? Then it is probab running DHCP to the 6100 and you are double NAting. See this page for some help.

formatting link
formatting link
Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips. ....You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it, let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all over again..

Reply to
John Loop

So I setup the modem to work in bridge mode and disabled dhcp but I am still having problems. Windows update gets all the way to the download step and hangs there. I can get to my online banking through quicken but not through the secure webpage.

The FAQ page from the previous post was helpful but the web interface of my modem is very different from the one listed there and I can't be sure if I got everything the same.

Reply to
BDS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.