Linksys BEFSX41 Crash

My router has been crashing very consistently and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem? One thing I've seen is that the http administration stops responding (can long longer connect to http://192.168.1.1) before the router stops completely (stops responding to pings on the LAN, and no longer connects to the internet).

I've tried upgrading to the latest Firmware from the linksys site (1.52.18 is the current version) - but I'm still having problems.

I do note that I receive a lot of outside requests to ports 1026 and

1027 from domains in China. Looks to me like (very common) MSN Messenger probes/attacks. But I don't know if these are the cause of the router failing.

I also see Invalid TCP packets in the Security log that are being identified to the Google Talk service (which I am using on several of the machines on my LAN).

Sigh. Anyone want to suggest a more reliable home firewall?

- Mike

Reply to
mckoss
Loading thread data ...

NetDDE Messaging != MSN Messenger

Beside that, today at lot of these requests rather address formerly vulnerable RPC services like Task Scheduler.

Huh? I though you'd be using a router as a router. No need for firewalling for a home user environment.

Anyway, Linksys products are well known for having excellent alternative firmwares which are more reliable. As you already upgraded the firmware, the warranty is gone anyway.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Reply to
mckoss

Where did you find that version? The latest version listed at

formatting link
is 1.52.10 (dated 5/10/06).

The BEFSX41 is very reliable in my experience. Have you tried contacting Linksys tech support?

Reply to
Spender

The BEFSX41 is a tragic beast. It is a fabulous piece of hardware that never had firmware that really did it justice. I am going to suggest you try the v1.45.7 firmware revision. All the 1.5.x versions of the firmware have definite showstopper bugs in them & 1.45.7 seems to be the most trouble-free of all the firmware revisions available.

If you are wanting to upgrade to a better firewall how much are you willing to spend? To get a really good one you'll be spending at least $3-400 dollars.

Reply to
gray.wizard

As you are not able to see what data is stored on his home LAN & what he uses his computers at home for you're jumping to a conclusion not armed with all the facts. You may be right in your diagnosis, but you may not be.

Some Linksys products are well-known for having excellent alternative firmwares, but the BEFSX41 is not one of them.

Upgrading the firmware on a Linksys router with Linksys-branded versions is endorsed by the company and does not invalidate the warranty.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Thanks for the advice on the firmware. I was mistaken before, I was in fact using 1.52.10 (I had previously been using 1.50.18 and I tried to upgrade to Linksys's latest firmware to see if that would fix my problem - it did not).

So I reverted to the v1.45.7, Dec 30 2003 version. I could not find this version on the Linksys website - so I got it from here:

formatting link
There is discussion of the most stable firmware version (from Jan

2003!) here:

formatting link
They also suggest 1.45.7 (or 1.51.0 - with the new UI).

I will also send a note to Linksys tech support to see if they will address this issue. Version 1.52.10 has some serious problems - most commonly the http interface would crash and the firewall becomes unmanagable w/o power cycling to bring it back up.

For reference, the 1.52.10 download page is at:

http://www.l> On 24 Jul 2006 22:40:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >

Reply to
mckoss

I sent this to Linksys:

I have been having my firewall crash frequently. I was using firmware

1.50.18. So I tired the latest version posted to your web site (1.52.10). Seems WORSE, not better. In particular, the web interface to manage the router crashes within just a few minutes of power-cycling. And occasionally I can't even PING the router anymore and also loose connectivity to the WAN.

I started a thread on comp.security.firewalls:

formatting link
Where it was suggested that I revert to the 2003 versi> Thanks for the advice on the firmware. I was mistaken before, I was in

formatting link

Reply to
mckoss

I hope this works for you. The BEFSX41 is a wonderful router when it works. I finally grew tired of the workarounds and moved on to a more reliable (and expensive!) router.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Linksys got back to me. They sugget that I change the MTU settings (Maximum Transmission Unit), starting at 1500 (for cable modem - 1492 for DSL), and then dropping it by 20 byes at a time down to minimum of 576. Yikes. Sounds like this would take me a couple of hours of fiddling with the model settings. How about I just buy an inexpensive modem that actually JUST WORKS.

They claim that perhaps I have a "hardware problem". Though loading the old firmware seems to be more stable than the newest version.

Reply to
mckoss

I had a pair of these, used for vpn remote to an office and had heat problems with both units. I gave up after a year (and after applying the latest flashes and switched to a pair of SMC units (no trouble since!) gr

Reply to
gr

I've also had heat problems with one.

-j

Reply to
Jeffrey Goldberg

I never had trouble with overheating when I ran a BEFSX41. My big problem was during IM sessions & FTP file transfers they would be timed out as idle at odd times.

One day I got so ticked at the time-outs I snapped & ordered a Cisco router. Words cannot describe the level of stability I experience now. I forget it's there. It just works. The only time I fiddle with it is when I upgrade the IOS or SDM. I hate Cisco snobs and don't want to come off sounding like one, but it's hard to argue with a box that just works seamlessly with no hassle.

Reply to
gray.wizard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.