1132B PowerLinc transmit problem

I have setup a simple pilot system. X10 recepticle controlling a desk lamp. I have a wireless sensor + wireless X10 receiver + computer controller that I thought will help me troubleshoot and explore X10 world.

The problem is with the controller bought here

formatting link
can see ALL commands transmitted by the sensor but when I try to issue ON or OFF commands to the same recepticle from this controller on average 1out of 20 succeeds. I ruled out intrusive filters as wireless tranciever works flawlessly when plugged into the same outlet.

Any advice appreciated

Reply to
vlad.troyanker
Loading thread data ...

Toss it in the Trashlinc. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Dave Houston

I am using it in RS232 mode. The host PC is a desktop running Windows XP. I use the software they supplied called Synapse ver. 1.0.86

Regarding power phase is there an easy way to determine what kind of power I have?

Reply to
vlad.troyanker

Check your main circuit breaker box.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I found their 1132B (I have one of the first.) would go to sleep, failing to respond to incoming signals and not responding to RS232 signals. It seemed worse when connected to a laptop. I've seen the same type of behavior from their LampLinc STW2000 (X-10) modules. I think they are overly sensitive to very low level, out-of-band noise.

Most s> I am using it in RS232 mode. The host PC is a desktop running Windows

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave, thanks for this information. I can't tell by just inspecting my circuit breaker panel. That is all I have inside my apartment. Since you indicated that most apartments have 3-phase that is incompatible with 1132B that is probably the issue.

Which X10 computer controller would you recommend for my situation?

Thanks

Reply to
vlad.troyanker

You're going to have to install a coupler/blocker in your panel. To protect yourself, have this done by an electrician. If you're renting the apartment, you're going to need to get permission from the Landlord.

Reply to
Frank Olson

That may not help. The 1132B only transmits once per half cycle rather than three times. It would require an intelligent coupler/repeater that supplies the missing bursts at the proper intervals.

Reply to
Dave Houston

First, try the 1132B and lamp module connected to the same outlet. This will assure they are on the same phase. If it still doesn't work it may be a defective 1132B.

All of the X-10 made transceivers transmit at 120° intervals to coincide with the ZC of all three possible phases so it may not matter which phases are used for the transceiver although it may require a phase coupler.

The signal strength of the 1132B is about the same as the transceiver. If the transceiver works from outlets where the 1132B fails, it cannot be blamed on a weaker signal.

Can you ask the folks who manage the complex whether it has 3-phase power? Larger complexes tend to use 3-phase but it is just c>Dave, thanks for this information. I can't tell by just inspecting my

Reply to
Dave Houston

FWIW, Synapse has behaved very erraticly with the 1132B the few times I've tried using it under either Windows XP or Windows 98SE on a P4, 3 GHz system.

(I bought the 1132B in a kit with the WGL V572A All-Housecode Transceiver, not for use as my general X10 controller.)

Regards, Charles Sullivan

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Since the X10 RS232 protocol is very simple. I would guess there is a good quality free software out there. I would definately wish for more diagnostics. When I press function code button 19 out of 20 time simply nothing happens. My guess is it does not receive ACK from the device but would be good to know for a fact.

Reply to
vlad.troyanker

Your experience sounds similar to mine. In my case, sometimes Synapse would work if I double-clicked the button. I had no interest in using the 1132B as a general controller so didn't spend any time in trying to troubleshoot the software.

I use an X10 CM11A as my general controller with software running under the Linux OS. I am unfamiliar with Windows software for the

1132B.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

I thought CM11A and 1132B is essentially the same hardware that is just branded differently. Am I wrong?

Reply to
vlad.troyanker

They are not at all similar. The only thing they have in common is both use the X-10 PLC protocol.

The CM11A output is only half the amplitude of the 1132B but the CM11A does send at 60° intervals (all 3-phases) while the 1132B only sends at 180° intervals.

The 1132B was designed by someone who has a long history of not getting things quite right (which is why most of us remain nervous about Insteon) while the CM11A was designed by X-10 themselves.

You can find the 1132B communications protocol on the SmartHome website. It's an ASCII protocol so it's easy to create your own software if you can do any programming.

The CM11A communications protocol is also available on the X-10 website but it's a binary protocol and is a bit more difficult to deal with.

Reply to
Dave Houston

No support coming from Smarthome with lame excuses like "Everyone is in the meeting Can i take a message?". Had to return it. Will try my luck with CM11a.

Reply to
vlad.troyanker

Too bad. Synapse looked like it would be a neat program if it worked.

You'll find there are some issues with X-10's ActiveHome software for the CM11A under Windows XP. Plan on using some other software. Windows users can advise you better than I can since I run primarily under Linux.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.