Firewalls

Can I run 2 firewalls on my pc= I am running the free version Outpost= can i run windows firewall also ??/ or what one is better to run if i cant run 2 at the same time= Thanks for any help

Reply to
huck
Loading thread data ...

Both aren't firewalls, but host-based packet filters. Running 2 of them is not just pointless, but even dangerous, as it increases complexity.

Windows Firewall is better. Outpost has a lot of known vulnerabilities, totally unnecessary complexity (f.e. useless trials of application control) and a pretty lousy quality.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Reply to
huck

You should try to supplement the XP FW as I have seen a few posts in other NG(s) as it's been disabled and taken out, since I know you're running on the Internet with Admin rights.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

This is different from any other host-based packet filter in exactly which way?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I suggest supplementing them all. And since it's XP, I would use IPSEC. IPSEC is the key and it's there too.

IPSEC! It's a supplemental solution and it works for me. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You know a good tutorial site to set up IPSEC? Will it interfere with multiplayer games? Thx.

Reply to
Gank

IPSec for packet filtering suffers two problems:

1. no stateful filtering
  2. default exemptions, which can only be fully disabled on NT 5.2 (Srv03, XP 64)

But what about IPFilter and RAS Firewall?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

I am not looking for stateful filtering. I think I have told you this once before. IPSEC does the job I needed to do in a supplemental role with the rules I created to supplement the PFW solution. Or I was using it to supplement the NAT router that couldn't stop outbound.

I will say this to you one more time *supplement*. Do you understand the meaning of the word *supplement*?

With the rules I have set or created to supplement in case the PFW solution is taken out, the machine is not setting there wide open. If I need to block all SMTP traffic, POP3 etc, etc, etc, I can easily do it with the AnalogX rules that are provided by AnalogX to use and simply enable them.

I have no use for IPfliters or a RAS FW on this laptop. And when I have my network setup again, everything is behind the WatchGuard.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

If you're running XP pro or better, then there is the IPSEC UI.

formatting link
I have the AnalogX rules implemented. I have the main service rules enabled, like SMTP, POP3, HTTP, etc on the client side. I got Windows Networking disabled block traffic I don't need that rule as I have networking unbound off the NIC but the PFW was still barking about inbound traffic it was blocking on the networking ports and IPSEC stopped that.

I can set rules to stop all inbound or outbound traffic in reserve in case I need that. It's a simple rule Block all TCP traffic, which you can use behind the XP FW as it's not stopping anything outbound.

formatting link
You can create or edit rules on XP with it's other IPSEC tool, since XP Home doesn't have the UI.

formatting link
IPSEC was blocking on some high ports on some downloads. I either set the rules to allow the traffic or I just disabled IPsec until the download was completed. That's the only problem I had and you'll have to play with it and configure it to fit your needs.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Ok, thx for the info. This one above should do me as I'm on XP Home and not Pro.

Reply to
Gank

This link that I gave you talks about the tools at the DOS Command Prompt that can be used to create new IPsec rules, modif existing rules, and trun a IPsec policy on or off. You may have to install somethings off the XP CD.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Will do, thx.

Reply to
UVP

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.