FireWall Question Trusted vs. Internet

Wayne is right just make sure not to make any configuration errors. For example make sure that the external administrator page is not enabled. I have seen this mistake on many routers. Also, as he said no port forwarding unless you absolutely need it. Make sure that you change the default password too.

Spyro

formatting link

Reply to
Spyro
Loading thread data ...

Home networking question. Two computers sharing a cable connection thru a router. If I set the routers IP(192.168.x.x) address as trusted in my software firewalls on the computers, it makes communication between the computers much easier, but does this also make them more vulnerable to attack from the wan side of the router. Hope this makes sense kind of new at this.

TIA Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Wayne is right just make sure not to make any configuration errors. For example make sure that the external administrator page is not enabled. I have seen this mistake on many routers. Also, as he said no port forwarding unless you absolutely need it. Make sure that you change the default password too.

Reply to
Spyro

"Wayne" wrote in news:3Kdze.131879$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

What are you afraid of everyone in the world knows it is 192.168.1.1 or something like that.

And no, no one can come at the device IP on the LAN side of the router. They would be coming at the public IP your ISP is using for your account at the time. If you're not doing port forwarding on the router, then you have nothing to worry about.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Can you explain what you mean by "external administrator page".

Reply to
DanR

Some routers allow the Admin to connect remotely.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thank you all for thr information

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.