Firewall problem

My system admin in my office has recently installed some sort of proxy where one needs authentication to be able to surf the internet. Its fine for internet explorer where it just pops up a window asking for user name and password but for programmes like skype, MSN explorer, it doesnt ask for a p/w ans doesn't work at all!

I just wish to know if there's any way I can get around with this.

One solution I though might work is to install a proxy server for my computer only and make all the programmes on my computer run through that. And that proxy server would in turn authenticate at my admin's server. Is that possible. Any suggestions for that?

Regards.

Reply to
beatallica
Loading thread data ...

Fine, so the proxy seems to do exactly what the system admin wanted.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

no, the admin is an idiot. There are some instructuions that internet access should be monitored, so he installed that. There isn't any policy against the use of these programmes.

Further, it wouldn't even allow Web Data Import feature in Excel to work. The only thing I can get to work is int explorer, firefox and, surprisingly, gchat.

Thanks.

Reply to
beatallica

Do you want to get fired?

Do you always ask in public, in a security group, about how to violate network security and company policy?

Do you really think that anyone here, at least any ethical person, will tell you how to violate your company policy?

Reply to
Leythos

Ask your admin nicely. He might be able to help you. Or he might explain why certain programs are blocked.

Rudy

P.S. Your admin might read this group! :-)

Reply to
God Rudy

I doubt that, I assume the idiot to be elsewhere.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

The admin made the policy, and you're not in control of that policy. You got a problem, then take it up with the admin and management.

All that's going to happen is they are going to tell you to go back to your desk and do your job the company is paying you to do and not what you want to do.

In the meantime, they will keep an eye on you to see what you're doing on company time.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Dear All,

Thank you for your concern about me not losing my job. Just to clear things up, there is no such thing as a "policy" in my company. It is a small establishment with 20 people and users not being able to use Remote Desktop Connections/Skype etc is the last thing they are concerned about.

Sorry for the harsh tone but there is no other word to describe my admin. He was told by the company head that we should be able to monitor users' internet access and, thus, he installed a Firewall. He has absolutely no idea how it works or even what 'ports' are. He followed the instruction manual word by word. The educational qualificatons of my 'admin' are having dropped out of his A-Levels and having managed an internet cafe with 10 computers before this.

I do hope you will all be able to appreciate my situation better now and would understand that I am NOT trying to override any company policy. I am just (mostly) trying to access my remote desktop to be able to be more efficient. And am trying to install skype to be able to be in touch with my family. No hard feelings.

Hope to hear soon.

Regards, B

Reply to
beatallica

And we hope that you understand that your story is just a story to the world. If you want access, stop crying here, get with the admin and make it happen with his permission and help. No ethical person in any group is going to help you get around security no matter how much you cry about it.

Your only solution is to make your Boss aware of what you need for business purpose and to get the Boss to tell the admin to do it.

Reply to
Leythos

Then talk to your firewall admin.

But you should understand that installing software, installing evil software like Skype, and having Skype in your company network is a bad bad bad thing. If you really consider your company would benefit from a VoIP system that might also be used for private purposes (on a small time scale), you might ask for a SIP or H.32x based system, but surely you won't ever get Skype.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

And you don't seem to understand, as ethical network people we're not going to tell you how to get around the firewall, it's just not ethical.

As for Skype and your family - that's PERSONAL and has no place on business networks. If you should not be using the telephone at your desk then you sure as heck should not be using the company network either.

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.