Two backup batteries in my system?

My ADT Safewatch 3000EN system has two big lead-acid backup batteries type ca 1240, instead of just one backup battery! I understand this system is similar to the Vista 15P.

I cancelled my monitoring contract with ADT and I am now on my own. The system is about 4 years old, all hardwired. I thought of changing the system backup battery preemptively. Then I found two identical big batteries in the panel. It also has two wall wart transformers, both for 16.5V AC.

Battery leads (red and black) go from battery A into the Main Circuit Board without terminals. The leads from Battery B go to (come from) a small sub-panel marked Altronix AL 624 Power Supply/Charger. The two batteries do not seem to be interconnected (such as being in series or parallel).

What is the second battery for and how do I replace both batteries?

formatting link
Thanks for any input.

Reply to
walter
Loading thread data ...

Battery going to big (main) circuit board is the security panel battery. Other battery (Altronix) is for secondary power, probably used to power motion detectors or such. Take info to batteries plus or Google/order online. Disconnect leads. Reconnect. Voila!

Jewellfish

Reply to
jewellfish

An AL 624 is a 1 amp power supply board (at 12V). Probably added because the load of all the stuff on your system kept blowing fuses with just the onboard power supply. If changing batteries change both. Also the PS has no battery monitoring capability so you should date your batteries and change them at regular intervals. Three (3) years as long as you have no power issues used to be a good interval, but I have had a lot of Solex and DSC (probably the same crap battery) fail in a year to a year and a half. If you go with a top brand name like Yuasa then three years should still be a good never a problem interval.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Not familiar with panel, but some may require full power cycle to reset trouble displays then reset time and date. Op said preemptive so if he is quick no trouble display should appear.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.