Firewall needed behind router?

Ah. Well I never tested it. I just know that in some groups, it's common to see people put it in the body, and they often say "Please retain the XNA when quoting me." or something to that effect. So I just assumed it worked when quoting too.

Reply to
Segovia
Loading thread data ...

Somehow I doubt they are inspecting traffic for other machines. They may be protecting the gateway machine itself, but not the network.

Reply to
Mark

in

Avast AV inspects each file transfer, be they from the Internet, or from the network, so anything coming in or out is scanned. Besides, you only need the AV protection on the gateway machine anyway.

Reply to
Charles Newman

I cannot be compromised, becuase it sits on the gateway machine. All the other machines behind it are firewalled as well.

Reply to
Charles Newman

charlesnewman1

AllegroSurf, combined with a software firewall, turns any computer into a NAT box. Also, AllegroSurf is not vulnerable to OS exploits like native Windows ICS is.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Nope, you are still missing the point - you don't emulate "Windows" when using Open Office or Star Office.

For those that have a business need to use MS Office, which is NOT windows, they can load an application that allows them to run MS Windows Applications - yes, it sort of emulates windows, but, in many cases, even MS Office is not needed by people to properly interact with other businesses running Windows based systems.

I can run a Fedora Core 3 system with Open Office and still interact with all my customers and not open a single Microsoft application on any of my machines.

Reply to
Leythos

Wrong - if it's setup by a user, configured on a non-dedicated box, then it's not secure. Anything you allow the user to manage will be compromised.

Reply to
Leythos

Sorry, but if a user has to setup the gateway machine, something running a Windows OS, or even a novice setting up a Linux box, then it's very likely to be setup wrong. An appliance, even a NAT box, is very difficult to setup wrong from default.

Your system is not secure from OS exploits, not the gateway or the local computers.

Reply to
Leythos

BS, you need AV on all computers, you don't seem to understand the real- world threats computers face and are limited by your very limited scope of understanding.

Reply to
Leythos

BS, what does AllergoSurf run on? Windows, then it's vulnerable to Windows OS Exploits, no way around that.

Also, NAT is not a firewall, it's a NAT solution - if you want a firewall you need stop considering NAT as a firewall solution. NAT is a routing solution, not a firewall solution.

Again, if the AS box is running on a Windows platform, it's vulnerable to Windows OS exploits, misconfiguration of AS, and misconfiguration of Windows setup.

Keep believing that things are not vulnerable - you won't last in the security business and you won't get respect from your peers.

Reply to
Leythos

I understood your response to say I'd be in trouble for not using windoze. In spite of many reports to the contrary, there really are companies that don't use windoze. If you were commenting on

it's a comment as much on the fact that the systems are professionally maintained as much as the comparative lack of attack vectors. No usable system is totally immune, but while the stock comment is that no one supports {Macintosh|*nix|DOS|Amiga} any more, that also includes mal-ware writers.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Well, go into any computer store, and most of the stuff written is for DOS and Windows systens.

Reply to
Charles Newman

wrote

Looking at the product it does HTTP and FTP scanning if you buy the ISA Server addition (US$17 per seat). Are you running the SBS or ISA server edition or merely a desktop edition? It does no spyware, and no Intrusion Prevention.

As for only needing AV on the gateway, well you're screwed aren't you... because if you had an inkling of what you should be doing you'd know that any encrypted (read SSL) web pages will go straight through the gateway without being scanned. So how many virus's and trojans do you think you have in your network ;)

Reply to
Mark

And if you had any computer experience, other than your limited Windows experiences, you would know that there is more software available for NON-Windows systems than all that's available for Windows.

Reply to
Leythos

Oh, REALLY? What version(s) of DOS? Actually, MS-DOS was a more secure product. Impossible to break in through the network in the default install. Microsoft borrowed that concept from DOS when they submitted NT 3.51 to 'Orange Book' (Trusted Computer System Evaluation Criteria, the [now obsolete] DOD standard 5200.28-STD, December, 1985) testing. Funny how they never sold any of that version (perhaps because it barely made C2). I understand NT4 also got certified, with similar non-functionality with a special service pack and a major chunk of extra code, but microsoft seems to have lost interest in following up on that, probably because the certified configuration was virtually useless as a computer. I'd bet if you spent a few minutes on google, you might be able to guess why. Also, the reason the 'Orange Book' is now obsolete was that it didn't expect the threat levels now found on the network (not that that mattered for NT).

Still waiting to hear what college you attended that networking class at.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.