DHCP Relays and Scanning for Rogue Mac Addresses

I have client machines on a protected subnet behind a firewall, and a DHCP server on a separate protected subnet. I need to relay the DHCP client requests from one subnet to the other, and for security reasons I don't want a DHCP relay application running on the firewall. What is the easiest way to build a DHCP relay that would allow a configuration like:

client on subnet A dhcp relay on subnet A firewall dhcp relay on subnet B dhcp server

What software supports that configuration?

In our application I need to use a Microsoft Active Driectory domain controller for the DHCP server because it is integrated to Microsoft DNS and reverse lookups are automatically maintained. Unless there are very strong reasons for it, a DHCP relay is preferred to a DHCP server. Some additional features that would be really nice to have:

- Ability to scan for any DHCP request from an unrecognized Mac address, which would then trigger alerts to either/both syslog and e-mail.

- Ability to scan all ARP requests on the network looking for unrecognized Mac addresses, the presence of which would trigger alerts.

I want to make it very difficult for a rogue device to get installed on our network without our having immediate visibility on the fact.

If anyone has other ideas on features we should be looking for in either a DHCP relay or Mac Address scanner, please feel free to add those.

If the above is available as a commercial device, I would appreciate references to the vendor's product page as well.

Reply to
Will
Loading thread data ...

Please crosspost when appropriate. This message also appeared in comp.unix.bsd.openbsd.misc, and probably others.

Reply to
Joachim Schipper

It was not appropriate to crosspost in this case, and I made that decision because the OpenBSD post asks for an OpenBSD product only.

The post to firewalls asks for any solution, not specific to any flavor of UNIX.

Reply to
Will

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.