DHCP and secondary networks

I have a layer 3 switch that I need to support some secondary networks. I also have a DHCP server on one of the secondary networks. The problem is, I cannot get DHCP to work on any of these networks. If the network are remote or on another vlan everything works fine. Is there something that can be done on the layer3 switch that I need to set to support this type of configuration?

thx.

Reply to
branigan
Loading thread data ...

"ip helper-address x.x.x.x" on the routing interfaces for your subnets that don't have a DHCP server where x.x.x.x is the ip address of your DHCP server.

Scott

Reply to
Thrill5

Thank you for replying. My problem is or so it seems is as follows:

I have a layer3 switch with vlan100. On this vlan I have 3 secondaries. One of those seondaries has the dhcp server on it. I have the helper under vlan100, pointing to that dhcp server. For some reason dhcp wont work when using that dhcp server. So i moved it to another one, not at the same vlan/secondary setup. That dhcp server worked fine. I was just wondering if there was a command or parameter that would be necessary for dhcp in this configuration.

thx again.

Reply to
branigan

If your DHCP server is in the same vlan as the clients, then it is going to see the client's broadcast before it sees the relayed request from the router. The server will want to give the client an address in the same network that the server is on since they are in the same broadcast domain.

In any case if you want to have secondary networks and expect dhcp relay to work, you need to configure "ip dhcp smart-relay" on the relay agent. without that configured the relay will only use the primary interface address as the giaddr and you will never see any addresses offered in the secondary networks.

With smart-relay the relay agent works through the primary and secondary networks in order, filling each one before moving on to the next. Full means the DHCP servr stops responding to requests for a given network.

These debugs, debug ip udp, and debug ip dhcp server packet, will show you what the relay agent is doing with the requests, and give you some idea of what sort of response, if any, it gets from the dhcp server. Any half decent dhcp server should have some sort of logging you can look at to see what it thinks is going on.

I've been round this same issue once before, and I think we concluded it probably wouldn't and shouldn't work.

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.