Checkpoint Safe@Office vs. VPN-1 Edge X

Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get some good advice here.

My company is looking into buying a firewall appliance. We're a small office, with a staff from 15-20 people. We have one server and 19 computers on our network. We'd like to find an appliance that would secure that network and allow staff members to access the network remotely.

The re-seller is pushing the Checkpoint VPN-1 Edge X, which, along with the SmartDefense service, would cost us around $2200. But the Safe@Office appliance seems that it would work for us just as well, at a much cheaper price. The re-seller says the Safe@Office box is designed mainly for wireless users, but I don't see any info online that backs that up.

So do you think there is a good reason for us to go with the Edge box over the Safe@Office box?

Thanks, David

Reply to
dwhite10701
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

out of experience, having worked for a Checkpoint Platinum Reseller, I would not recommend either. They have very basic Firewalling functionality I am afraid. The policy editor is basic to say the least (although when managed from a smartcenter server, you get more or less the same interface as for checkpoint firewall, albeit with some limitations such as no support for ip-ranges).

I have had instances of customer having been sold these in a similar capacity as you describe with headaches for all involved.

They are meant as gateways for satellite offices, in conjunction with a more advanced checkpoint infrastructure.

I would advise obtaining a quote for a Nokia IP130. That is at least a fully featured firewall .

Mail me if you have any further queries.

cheers

ocr

dwhite10701 wrote:

Reply to
OCR

There are two versions of the Safe@Office Appliances. One is solely for wired connections: the other is for both wired and wireless.

Reply to
optikl

Actually, there are 3 main differences between the two boxes:

1) The Edge is blue and Safe@ is orange. 2) The Edge is an Enterprise product that can be managed from a Check Point Smart Center management console. 3) The Edge is more expensive than the Safe@.

Those are the > dwhite10701 wrote:

Reply to
TechGrrl

They USED to have very basic configurability options but they've improved quite a bit - they do support port ranges in rules as well as other advanced security features. These boxes needed time to mature and now they do provide just about all the security a small business network needs.

David, if you have any specific questi> Hello,

Reply to
TechGrrl

Hi,

well both boxes have the same features. the only difference is that you can manage VPN-1 Edge like a regular Check Point Module from a remote SmartCenter , and that's why it's more expensive.

that's why the difference in color etc. it's the same hardware and software in there.

you'll get the same features in Safe@Office which is much cheaper.

go on the Safe@

Regards,

Nir

Reply to
nirsh

Thanks for the opinions, everyone. We decided to go with the Safe@Office.

Reply to
dwhite10701

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.