EDGE vs EVDO

The most interesting discovery about the iPhone was the performance on the EDGE network. Using CATTRAX (which uses MapQuest maps) in real time with zooming and scrolling was excellent. While some of the updates took a few seconds, there was nothing that was a show-stopper in the performance. It was much better, in fact, than the Q with EVDO and Opera: that might be the AT&T network enhancements alone, but the end result was excellent. Even El Reg popped up quickly and was easily navigable, unlike sometimes on the Q where style sheet problems make the page hard to read.

The real surprise was the integrated Wi-Fi. The fact that the phone will pick up Wi-Fi on demand and use this for the "heavy lifting" data transfers eliminates the need for HSDPA in many (but not all) situations. (This is still a toughie for me, as I have no wired WAN connectivity and eschew using hot spots. However, Pat also has the same set up as I do in his motor home, with an EVDO rev.a modem feeding a Wi-Fi router, and this works very well for the higher speed downloads as needed.) It appears that the iPhone does a superior job of scheduling data transfers between foreground (web pages) and background (large downloads) thus keeping the EDGE speed available for immediate use.)

[MUCH MORE]
Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

The real story....

No Bluetooth A2DP stereo audio, no PAN, no voice dial, limited add-on s/w.

AAPL's "my way or the highway" version of "no clue" interfaces.

Verdict: all but fashion victims should wait.

As usual, fashion victims can pay-to-beta.

Reply to
News

And to add to the story, check out the Ocean that I posted a few days ago. It appears to really knock the iPhone to the back of the bus.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
DTC

Not a chance.

Reply to
Tinman

How so? Is there something in the side by side comparison I missed?

Reply to
DTC

Yeah. The fact that you are a racist using a piece o'shit for a phone. All that sliding keyboard will jam up with the sugar goo from your doughnut-infested fingers.

Reply to
George Kerby

And your problem is what exactly?

George Kerby wrote:

Reply to
News

That is a biased comparison by Helio themselves, nothing more.

My point was that the iPhone will outsell it by a huge margin. The fact that helio.com chose to even do such a comparison to the iPhone--a comparison I find suspect anyway--is evidence to that. If Apple did that people would be saying, "Helio Ocean who?"

But about those points...

Treo 750 does EV-DO yet several tests have shown that even when the iPhone is running on EDGE it was able to render pages faster. The Register article that is the basis for this thread came to the same conclusion. So just listing 3G doesn't impress me. Lack of WiFi, OTOH, is a *big* drawback of the Ocean (if the iPhone had no WiFi I would even be discussing it, let alone have one).

About the only thing I would want in that comparison chart is A2DP. But I certainly wouldn't won't to switch to an Ocean to get it.

And how about the screen? Without question my iPhone has the best screen of any mobile device I've ever owned, or used. The Ocean has QVGA which is only half the resolution, and who knows how good it is when in use.

No mention of how well the Ocean works with iTunes either, something I have been enjoying a lot more than I had anticipated with my iPhone.

Size and weight comparison? Didn't see it.

Memory? My iPhone has 8 gigs. You can get what, 2 gigs now in MicroSD? My iPhone currently has 3 gigs of just video (and the quality is great--it's actually usable as a video player).

Finally, the Web browsing experience on my iPhone is, once again, far better than any mobile device I've ever owned, or used. Call me skeptical but I would have to see the Ocean in action to think it even comes close (though, again, with half the resolution how could it?).

What about syncing? I read the Ocean doesn't even sync to Outlook. Is that correct? Why not in the comparison chart?

I could go on, but to state that this device is going to "knock the iPhone to the back of the bus" due to an incomplete, and biased, comparison chart doesn't quite seem appropriate.

YMMV, IMHO, etc., etc.

Reply to
Tinman

... >

Enjoying? Of what use is a mono "tunes" device?

What were they thinking?

Reply to
News

What are YOU thinking? WTF do you mean by 'mono'?

What a Maroon!

Reply to
George Kerby

No Bluetooth A2DP = no stereo = mono (single or dual).

One could do as 'pod people do and wear wires, but why?

Reply to
News

Not sure what you are talking about.

1) Hrmm.....no clue where you got that idea. 2) Have neither the iPhone nor Ocean 3) I don't eat donuts.

Now...lets discuss your issues, pumpkin.

Reply to
DTC

I don't see how it can be biased, unless there are serious shortcomings on the Ocean that they don't mention. Its a simple factual comparison.

No doubt Apple will sell more - a major carrier is selling it and brand recognition. Helio choose to make a comparison because the iPhone and Ocean are similar, at least when compared to other products.

Was teh Treo running EVDO Rev A? If not, then the download speeds would be comparable and the page renerding engine would be important. If the Treo was indeed running rev-A...even at a slow speed of 512 Kbps is still five times faster than the fastest EDGE speed.

Good point. It might be more important for people in a dense WiFi landscape and don't have their laptop handy.

Reply to
DTC

"Back of the bus" statement?

You sure pimp the Ocean.

Cheetos, then...

Sure thing, "sweetie":

This is shit >>>>>> Ocean

This is Shinola >>>>>> iPhone

You simply don't understand Apples and Lemons

Now back in your corner. I'm fishing for more than a mullet...

Reply to
George Kerby

I suddenly realized that you took it in a Rosa Parks context, that was hardly the context I envisioned. Just as so if I talked about the lack of iPhone's stereo Bluetooth as a "chink in the armor", would you consider that Chino-racist?

One comment does not a pimp make.

Navasizing over a Moto V557 does.

Nope.

Reply to
DTC

Edge vs. EVDO, well I can tell you this, I had a 8525 and now have a Sprint Mogul with EVDO, its like a Kia Septra (8525) racing a Porsche Turbo Carrera, there's no comparison. I wouldn't never have even considered Sprint except, AT&T is slow to impliment plain ole UMTS down by me, never mind HSDPA and for $30bux a month including data, unlimited texts, nationwide roaming, nights and weekends (starting at 7pm) and 500 mins on a SERO plan. Its cheaper then my PDA connect. Besides the Mogul is a little nicer then the 8525.

Reply to
Michael Paris

Yes, there are shortcomings missing; obviously. I already mentioned screen resolution, for example, which is a biggie and not mentioned anywhere in the chart. Same with memory, syncing ability, etc. No surprise though, it's not a 3rd-party independent chart.

I think the tests showed that just having a faster connection is no guarantee of how the browser is going to work once you actually use it. In the Treo case it was obviously struggling on the rendering part. And EV-DO is 3G and has always been considered faster than EDGE. Let's not move goal posts now...

I wouldn't consider myself in a dense WiFi locale. It doesn't matter too much though since most of the time I am either at home or at work, and both locations have WiFi. (Yes, I do use the iPhone's Web browser at home and work when I am not right in front of a PC; it's quite fast and very useable--unlike the "mobile" feel of browsing with other PDAs/smartphones that I have owned or used in the past.)

That said I do find WiFi in more places than I would have expected. Like my local video store, deli, mall, etc. I wouldn't have even known these places have WiFi because the odds of me walking in/around with my laptop are low. With the iPhone it's very easy to just take it out and see if WiFi is available.

Reply to
Tinman

George Kerby hath wroth:

I'm a racist and have the speeding tickets to prove it.

Well, if you don't like an iPhone, you can always glue an iPod to an ordinary cell phone with a BluEye:

Incidentally, you're right about messing up the screen. Once a month, I turn into a werewolf. My claws tend to scratch the screen.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No Bluetooth A2DP = no stereo = mono (single or dual).

Reply to
clifto

Exactly. Tell George the maroon.

Reply to
News

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.