Any way to duplicate Checkpoint license?

This may be a bit of a stupid question.... but here goes...

We have several Checkpoint FWs at work and I can get license details from our FW admin. I want to install a copy at home on a Win box and maybe an old Sun box. (I just want to practice using the Checkpoint interface a bit). The FW will be behind my home ISP router so I can use any IP on the outside interface. Can I get the license to work on my home servers somehow? (I know there is an eval version but I want to have a working FW for longer period).

Thanks Ron

Reply to
unixzip
Loading thread data ...

Why would you come to a public newsgroup and tell the world that you want to break the law? And ask for help doing it besides? If nothing else, this 'type' of question belongs in a ng with the word 'crack' in its title. HTH HAND

Reply to
ArtDent

Just ask Checkpoint.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

This is to be used for non-commercial use ONLY. if Checkpoint had a consumer version, I'd use it.

Reply to
unixzip

Your posting IP address suggests that you are in the USA. If that is the case, then you should be aware that the US federal laws on "criminal copyright violation" specifically denies as defences that the copying was non-commercial or was being done without a motive of profit.

And in a situation where someone is attempting to learn how to use a product in order to be more useful to their employer, as far as I recall, US courts usually rule that the salary generally earned, and the potential for raises for good work, are sufficient to count as a "profit motive".

If you wish to avoid getting near to US Criminal Code sections 501 and 506, then you have a few choices:

- buy a license yourself, even if doing so requires taking out a mortgage on your home

- have your company buy the license and authorize you to use it off-site

- have your company send you a letter requiring that you obtain the license, and then go ahead and buy it, and write off the cost of it against your taxes (which can only be done with proof that the employer required it)

- ask Checkpoint what kind of accomedation can be made -- e.g., they might have a refurb older model that they'd let go cheap but which would be sufficient to learn substantial parts of the configuration

- take a course (or have the company send you on a course) which makes available equivilent equipment

- find a place to lease or rent the equipment from

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Reply to
unixzip

I have never and will never steal a program and you, sir or madam, are a common thief. That is the pure and simple fact no matter what spin you may wish to try to put on it.

Reply to
Bud

My bad. I apologize. Sorry. Looked at wrong posters name there.

Reply to
ArtDent

I can't speak for the others, but I know that I did. I bought my computer used from someone with an OEM license, and I paid extra (market price) for the upgrade to Pro. I have the holographic sticker and the receipt.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

There is no LEGAL way to do it in the USA.

Is there a way to do it "at all"? Of course there is: no known software anti-copying measure can withstand having several tens of millions of dollars of copying effort put into it. It might take a scanning electron microscope and a couple of NSA signals intelligence officers, but it can surely be done... eventually.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Boy, good! I was afraid I would have to sic the Mounties on you. LOL!

Reply to
Bud

G'day Ron, If you just want to practise using the Checkpoint interface a bit, then simply install the GUI Client. When you start Smart Dashboard, check the box that says "Demo Mode" You can play all you like with the interface then, even use the rulesbase and objects from work!

Wayne McGlinn Brisbane, Oz

Reply to
Wayne

Very easy to do this, and you don't have to "duplicate" anything. You just need the cplic string or the lic file.

If your just interested in pushing policy and learning the in's and out's... then just create a "fake" network behind your ISP edge box that your appliance will reside on. As long as your "external" ip addr of your CP enforcement point box has the ip addr of the license (depending on what type of licensing you have... central or local), then your good to go. If you have centralized licensing, then it doesn't matter what your external ip addr is.

If your really interested in learning, then you don't need to route anything out to the net... all you need to be able to do is push policy, log to your mgmt station, etc... nothing short of getting smartdefense updates requires you to go out to the net.

--IB

Wayne wrote:

Reply to
internetbetty

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.