Cannot get email from NAS...firewall settings?

I have a NAS that allows for errors to be emailed and I decided to use GMail. However, it doesn't seem to be sending the emails. I suspect that my router's firewall is blocking the port. I would like to know what is the most secure way to get the emails out. I guess I need to open the port listed below ONLY for outgoing and ONLY for (an IP, a MAC addr?) but how do I do this?

Here are the settings and where I found them: smtp.gmail.com port: 465 or 587 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

formatting link
THANKS

John

Reply to
Warren, John
Loading thread data ...

Why not just send them via your local smtp server as you would any other emails?

Chris.

Reply to
chris

Because he does not run one?!

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

So he never sends regular emails?

Reply to
chris

^^^^^

I assume he sends mails and might use a remote mail server to do it. Most of our customers use our mail servers, only a small part runs their own local mail server. Using the mail server of ones ISP has been common practice for decades and I would not regard that as a local one. Well, and if any of our customers does, I have to talk seriously with him . ;)

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.