SIP software phone and firewall settings

Folks

So I'm looking around at software phones and have come across sipXphone at

formatting link
Is this a decent system? Any other suggestions?

I've decided on using Gafachi as they accept Paypal.

Now in setting things up in sipXphone I've come across the following:

"If making calls from behind a NAT firewall, please add NAT port mappings on your NAT firewall device and specify your external IP here. Please see your NAT firewall for instructions on adding port mappings. By default, you will need to map port 5060 (SIP) and ports 8766-8770 (RTP): (PHONESET_EXTERNAL_IP_ADDRESS)"

Now if I was worried about incoming calls then this would be important. But I'm only making outgoing calls. Incoming will be via cell phone, etc.

And I can't set this up in my motel room or coffee shop or whatever. Clearly I won't have any control over the firewalls.

Does this mean I need to setup some proxy server somewhere for this stuff?

I do know how to setup firewalls and open ports and such. It's just that my primary reason for setting all this up was so I could make inexpensive calls from clients or motel room exactly when I'm behind all these firewalls. Instead of using my more expensive cell phone.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews
Loading thread data ...

X-lite is free, pretty good too. X-pro if you want to pay, has conference calls etc. You can download it from sipgate.co.uk (Xten.com have changed their name, can't remember to what..., (silly people). When using others WiFi you have to use the STUN server feature, gets past firewalls etc. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

You can change the background color of the X-Ten - see

formatting link
for screenshot - take a look under phone settings.

Reply to
molloyjoe

So I have to register first just to download the software?

So I have to install the STUN Server on a server which is on the Internet? Ok, I do indeed have a Win 2003 Server which is currently doing web serving I can use.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews

I located and installed xten X-Lite

formatting link
got it somewhat working. (I have to now send Gafachi some money. ) At least I tried to make an outgoing call and it said insufficient funds. So it looks like that part of it is working any.

UI sucks as the font is getting a bit small and the dark grey background makes it a bit difficult to read things. But gafachi.com had setttings available on thier website for xten X-Lite so that made it much easier.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews

Glad to hear you got X-Lite working. I think you have also figured STUN, (just enter the URL of ANY Stun server in the settings). If you want to make some free test calls (max 1min), use the test settings from sipdiscount.com, or pay them few Euros for 'full' usage, many destination are still FREE. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Thus spaketh Martin²:

formatting link
another of their sister services are offering free calls too, and many people are reporting they are able to chat for a lot longer than the 1min test.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Yes, the orange is somewhat better.

Thanks, Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews

X-Lite has the Counterforce STUN server setup in there. I was wondering what was going on as my firewall software was telling me all this.

Thanks, but I already sent a VOIP vendor some money so I'm set for a while.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Toews

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.