BIG PROBLEM - with firewalls sudden reboot

I have an adsl modem/router (usRobotics 9112)

When surfing the web, very often it happens Windows instantly reboots

- it happens on the very same sites,

- it happens every 4-5 sites, expecially "heavy" sites with javascript, flash, activex...

- the sites I visit are secure, because they are istitutional, magazines sites...).

- I have no javascript, flash, activex, animation, audio.... activated, nothing at all.

- If I go with an old 56 kb analogic modem all is ok

----------------

I am with Windows98se

I notice that if I disabled my software firewall Norton 2002 there is no problem.

So I was sure it was a Norton 2002 firewall problem, and tried six (=6) other firewalls (OutPost, panda, zoneAlarm, atguard....) but always had the problem, so I don't think it is a software firewall problem.

---------------

What to do?

I phoned Robotics and they said it is not a modem problem.

Reply to
a
Loading thread data ...

i suppose you are opening the websitesin IE .. Did you updated the IS foe latest versions or tried installing or reinstalling the IE again.

If you have norton then try disbling the norton and then try connecting to that sites again

Reply to
CK

Windows 9x is out of support. Upgrade your operating system.

Well, that *does* suggest a certain course of action, doesn't it?

Apparently the problem exists with all kinds of software firewalls, but doesn't exist without a software firewall in place. Why would you believe this is *not* a software firewall problem?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

i tried IE 5.0 5.5 6.0 firefox 2.0

if I disable or exit the firewall no problem occurs but I want to use a firewall I tried six of them, as told, all gave the same problem and because of this pattern I'm no more sure it is a firewall problem

Reply to
a

sure

because I hardly believe all these softwares are buggy

maybe it is the modem (nothing to do)

maybe it is about Windows98se settings (I don't think Windows is buggy otherwise all the world would have had the same problem; what to do?)

Reply to
a

Very bad. Just visiting a website with IE is like offering an unlimited remote shell. Your system might already be infected.

So you actually want problems to occur? Then why do you complain?

Because of this pattern I'd say they're all very very broken.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

Hi,

a schrieb:

Prett easy: Upgrade to a more recent OS. Don't install services, you do not want to offer. If you need a Firewall, than have it on a different device. Some modern routers are quite capable as packetfilters. Do never work as Administrator or root.

Try to understand, what you do.

Cheers, Jens

Reply to
Jens Hoffmann

you say it's ok with the 56k (dial up).

USB DSL/ADSL modems do have an issue, i've often heard of people with them losing their net connection and restarting windows.. It may help to reinstall its drivers. You could bypass the thing by using a 'home router' instead of the usb dsl modem.

I don't know if usb cable modems that that issue. But yours is ADSL, that's common.

A google shows that the router you mentioned is a USB or Ethernet router/modem. You didn't say that. You could stick an ethernet PCI card in your computer, and not use the USB aspect of your router, maybe even uninstall the usb router/modem drivers.

It's unfortunate that unlike win xp. Win98SE doesn't come with a firewall. But if you use Volker's program

formatting link
you won't need a firewall Either way, you won't be saved from a browser getting exploited.

Try the Opera browser

Reply to
jameshanley39

Is your DSL plugged into a Ethernet adapter? Is the Ethernet adapter on your motherboard? You might be overtaxing your Ethernet adapter (considering how old your system is (Win98se)). You could try replacing the adapter with a PCI card, which shouldn't cost very much money - that is if you can find one that will work with 98se...

Reply to
Default User

You don't need a firewall for Windows 98, and you don't need "Shutdown Windows' servers" for it, too.

For Windows 98, just unbind any unneeded network service from the external network interface by right clicking on the interface choosing "Properties", and then doing it.

That's it.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I tried the USb way, and because it requires driver I also tried with old and new drivers, always the same problem

I went back to the Ethernet way (that is my preferred choise because faster) and tried the plug in the motherboard VIA RIINE II and tried the plug in PCI ethernet card (D-Link DFE 538 tx), always the same problem

I applied the 'ndis' fix called 243199itn8.exe from Microsoft, alway the same problem

I tried with IE 5.0 5.5 6.0 and firefox 2.0 and honestly I don't want to install Opera

important note: the same modem/router on my second PC (AMD 500, while the first is Pentium 1600) with the same windows98se via USB and via Ethernet (on board) all is ok with IE 6.0 (little sub version differences:

6.0.02800 on second PC and 6.00.2600.0000 on first PC) with the same firewall software

so the problem is on my first machine, but where? SURELY, absolutely SURELY, I have NO virus in it

What is a 'home router' ?

Reply to
a

thanks, please see the answer to jean

Reply to
a

sorry to james

Reply to
a

you could try what volker says here about unbinding services. Then you can uninstall your firewall

Alot of problems aren't viruses, they can be bugs, one piece of software clashes with another.

Another problem can be malware that even when removed, actually messes up windows with it.

I have seen some malware that was probably broken, since it stopped the computer accessing the internet. (in retrospect, a command to reset the tcp/ip stack might've fixed it, or maybe a program, liek winsock fix or lsp fix. I've never tried them, it was win98) But that's just an example of it messing with windows.

Another example is some malware I saw, where the user, and a techie they hired, had perhaps made some attempt to remove it, but it had taken some of windows with it. I got installshield errors when installing some software - happened to be a wireless modem driver. I tried reinstalling the installshield engine, as some sites suggested. I then discovered that a trusted piece of software gave an error when installing - that not normal at all. So I knew I really had to either do a win xp reinstall or a win xp repair. It's a standard diagnosis and treatment!

There was a version of the ZoneAlarm firewall, which had a bug and actually wouldn't uninstall. Users of ZA were yelling that it was worse than any virus. THey may have released some long manual instructions for removing it. But some reinstalled windows because of it. There are endless examples, not necessarily internet related, where win xp gets messed up. Alot of that could be avoided if running in a LUA - limited user account, rather than an administrative account. That is not possible in Win 98, AFAIK. Win98 will get messed up just as win xp can.

I think with win98, when you 'reinstall', it installs it over the existing installation. It doesn't delete the original. So effectively, it's like a win xp repair. (A win xp reinstall , i think, forces you to delete the original. If you were running win xp, i'd suggest the win xp repair option)

You may still want to back up your data first.

reinstalling win98 is a classic, just like repairing win xp, and even reinstalling win xp !

oh it's just some strange term i've seen used here sometimes. The problem is that the box you have that some refer to as a 'home router', is actually many things. NAT Router is maybe a more appropriate term people here use. It does Routing, NAT, has a DHCP Server in it, has a (network) Switch in it, it has a modem in it. I think those ports on it are really ports of a network switch, not of the router. The routing it does is very minor. That NAT device thing typically only has 2 'arms', or networks rather. So doesn't have much of a decision to make. (If it comes from the WAN side it's gonna be routed to the LAN side, and vice versa!). It's still routing though.. And I think most use a routing table.

I think, in industry, when people think of routers, they think of ones like Cisco make, and those things have an ip on each port (a proper one for the port, not like the one sent via DHCP to a comp connected to the port). A few ports on the router.

Maybe before these mass market devices (could call 'em NAT Routers) were produced for everybody, all routers did have that. It was the classical router. So even if they don't think 'cisco', they still think of routers like that. Not to say the NAT device isn't a router. But not only does it do other things.. it's routing is so minimal. It's like.. Crocodile dundee when he says "thats not a knife. *this* is a knife!" I guess everybody wants to be like mick dundee! Most people don't give a damn about terminology. It's a problem.

Even serious manufacturers can obfuscate things. One, maybe Cisco, found that their bridges weren't selling well 'cos they were busy marketting their routers by telling people not to buy bridges. So when they wanted to sell their bridges, they renamed them switches. Their switches are faster than their bridges because they were produced a bit later, but functionally they do the same thing. Though Cisco material does try to make some strange distinctions.

People have an agenda and don't care for terminology.. Even technical people sometimes leave terms uncorrected if they know what is meant, even if they know what was written is wrong - fine if the person listening doesn't care. But the main culprits are marketting. It's a big nuisance.

Reply to
jameshanley39

so as mentioned, you have 2 solutions.

one is a workaround, (stopping all servers and not using a firewall - 'cos with a firewall 'caused' the reboot)

and one solution. (reinstalling windows 98) (if this works it'll solve it completely and you can install your firewall)

if you take the windows 98 installation option, and don't know how, then you may want to try a win98 / win9x newsgroup

microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion alt.windows98

theres no alt.os. blah for windows 98. But anyhow. Any of those newsgroups I mentioned are fine. Even alt.computer is fine, Most regulars answering in any of those newsgroups will know how.

Reply to
jameshanley39

I have a news:

I tried with Seagate firewall (see the recent "Comodo firewall conflict..." post) and I had NOT the problem

so I tried with another firewall a recent Norton 2004 and I had NOT the problem (but with Norton 2002 I had)

What does these things mean?

but I dislike Seagate firewall because it is "poor" and I can not use Norton 2004 beecause it is too heavy (the boot phase increased 1 minute and it slows very much every normal Windows activity and eats memory a lot)

Reply to
a

That you can't expect broken software to always break your system that directly?

Wow, what a technical opinion.

Huh? They all do. That's what they're supposed to do.

Reply to
Sebastian G.

BUGS and conflicts. You either workaround them, as you have, using alternative software. OR you (perhaps delete), and reinstall windows

98 and see if that helps.

Or you stop servers. As mentioned. (though if you do that, you won't gain the benefits of a software firewall, such as blocking at least some outgoing that you want it to, and monitoring ports/tcp connections)

You can't fix the bug directly unless you are the programmer that wrote the software.

It's SYGATE.

Not to be confused with Seagate that consistently across seasons and years, make good but slightly hot hard drives.

Try alt.comp.freeware

When I tried these software firewalls long ago, I really liked Sygate, it was a free version, before they got acquired or whatever by Kerio and things got more complicated. Then it got ugly. It had a great port monitor that I haven't found an alternative for.

It actually crashed the most recent machine I tried it on and I haven't bothered to install it since. (and sometimes when these things crash, you lose use of your internet connection.. You retain it but can't send any outgoing. It blocks everything. I've seen similar with norton too.)

Apparently it has some security issues - but that doesn't bother everybody!

The older versions may be here

formatting link
If you don't like Sygate, try others. As I said, try that freeware newsgroup.

And don't keep asking what has been answered. The answer won't change. So at least question the answer. Don't reask the question. Bugs/ software conflicts are what they are. They mean what they mean. You've just diagnosed further what software conflicts, that's all your new finding means.

Reply to
jameshanley39

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.