Modelling light output from an optical fibre

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to raytrace (with little optics experience!) the passage of light emerging from a fibre optic cable which is coupled to a spectrometer, and need some help with defining the 'source'.

In this instance, the virtual source is the light emerging from the fibre core. The fibre is a multimode fibre, 100micron diamter with a step index.

In the raytracing software (TracePro), i have a number of choices to define the spatial and angular profile of the emergent light. The spatial profile can be either uniform or Gaussian, with spatial weighting either (uniform flux with weighted position) or (uniform position with weighted flux).

For the angluar profile, the beam can be defined as uniform, Gaussian or Lambertian - for the last two, the angluar weighting can either be (uniform flux with weighted angle) or (uniform angle with weighted flux).

Can anyone suggest which of these options would best describe the light emerging from the fibre optic in the nearfield? The light illuminating it will be environmental, i.e. the other end of the fibre will be pointed towards the sun.

Many thanks in advance for you advice,

M.

Reply to
M
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.