VLAN Configuration

Hi there,

I have created two VLANs succeffully.

My aim is for them to share a common port, to which the internet router is plugged into.

That way, although users in seperate VLANs cannot communicate with each other, they can route traffic to the internet via the same default gateway.

In VLAN A, a DHCP Server exists. In VLAN B, only three machines exist. I have given machines in VLAN B static IP Addresses in the same subnet as in VLAN A (outside the scope of the DHCP) so that they can use the same default gateway address.

I have tried to set the port status on one and then both VLANs to tagged, however as soon as I do this, I can't ping the router or the internet from either.

Am I doing something wrong?

C
Reply to
webslinga69
Loading thread data ...
[snip]

Yes. You either misconfigured the router, or the switch it is connected to, with regards to tagged (VLAN trunk) settings.

best regards Patrick

Reply to
Patrick Schaaf

In most routers you cannot have the same subnet address configured on multiple VLANs. I would be very surprised if your default gateway allows you to do something like that. With your current configuration, it appears that traffic coming back from the router will always be classified as being on only one VLAN, either because you have tagging on and router will put on the tag, or you don't have tagging and the incoming port on the switch always classifies the frame as being on the PVID. The simplest way to fix this would be to have 2 subnets (i.e. different interface addresses) for VLAN A and VLAN B on the router, assuming it does VLANs. If it doesn't do VLANs, then you will need to have 2 separate ports on the router, one in VLAN A and one in VLAN B, each configured with the default gateway address to be used for that VLAN. And you would then need to find a way to prevent routing between those VLANs if you don't want the hosts in VLAN A to communicate with the hosts in VLAN B even via routing.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.