uplinking routers question

i know i need a crossover cable - here's my question:

since one can easily take a regular straight through patch cable and turn it into a crossover cable, can i take such a cable, coupler, and crossover cable to do this?

in other words...plug straight through patch cable into uplink port on router A, connect other end to coupler, other end of coupler to crossover cable, then crossover cable into router B...will that work?

Reply to
Matt
Loading thread data ...

Yes. I think your looking to extend the cable by adding another one. As long as 1 cable is a cross-over it will work..

Reply to
gene martinez

Hi,

I think it will work! but most new Ethernet switches and maybe new routers already have an automatic uplink sensing support, where you can uplink two Ethernet switches or routers using normal straight cable, no need for cross cables any more.

Panda,

formatting link

gene mart>

Reply to
Panda

OK, how do I go about uplinking a WRT54G (second router) and a WRT54GS (main router)?

The setup I have currently at my home is a BEFSR41 (wired router) connected to WRT54G (wireless) using the uplink port on the BEFSR41 to a regular LAN port on the WRT54G...but the WRT54G does not have an uplink port, so that same setup won't work here.

I do not want to create two subnets...I know how to cascade them if I set it up that way, but I would like to avoid that if all possible.

Reply to
Matt

Connect one of the LAN ports of the BEFSR41 to one of the four LAN ports of the WRT54G. The WRT54G will act like a simple hub then, and a wireless one at that.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Reply to
Matt

Yes, just make sure that only one of the devices has dhcp enabled.

Reply to
rieker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.