PVE scernario

Hi,

A time ago Marco in this ng suggested me to use the Linksys SRW2016 PVE feature to be able to enable/disable internet access in selected classrooms in a school. The Linksys manual did not correspond with the actual web interface for the PVE, but now I think I have figured out how to set up the PVE stuff. If possible I just want to have confirmed that this solution (how I think it should be set up) is going to work.

A simplified sketch of the setup can be found here:

formatting link
I plan to divide the switch into two PVEs, first for port 1-7 with port

8 as uplink. Port 8 is connected to the domain controller etc and this is also the port which should be used to administer the switch.

The second PVE (blue connections) is for port 9-15 with port 16 as uplink. The latter is connected to the firewall. This is for distributing the internet connection. In each classroom the teacher should be able to connect/disconnect the blue cable to the classroom switch (internet connection for his classroom) without affecting the other classrooms' internet access.

Will this work, and if yes is there any side effects?

How about administering the switch, this is normally assigned to VLAN1 how will the be affected using PVE...?

If this will not work, do you have other suggestions to solve this not needing huge investments ;-) ??

Thanks for any comment or feedback on this

regards

geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn
Loading thread data ...

I don't understand the PVE feature too well, but based on your picture, how does a frame decide whether it goes out on the black port or the blue port? I assume that the frames are all classified as being on the "black" VLAN so they would never be able to make it out on the "blue" ports.

Post some info on the VLAN configuration (the VLANs and their port memberships, tagged/untagged for each port, etc.) and things may become a bit clearer.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Hi Anoop,

I'm a complete newbie with regard of VLANs, but in the earlier thread 'VLAN question' above Marco gave me a tip to use the Private Virtual Edge feature. In my case this should connect port 1-7 to port 8 but isolate port 1-7 from each other. Same issue with ports 9-15 and 16.

Hence I thought that each classroom will get (and stay) connected to the main domain controller through the uplink port 8. And the internet are feed through ports 9-15's uplink port 16. Whether or not each classroom are connected to the internet depends on whether the blue lead is connected to the classroom switch or not.

So, - I haven't manually programmed any VLANs here apart from giving the two port ranges their respective uplink port therough the PVE feature.

I'm a bit hesitating to test this because I'm not sure what happens to the switch's webmin access. I don't want to lock myself out and the box doesn't have a reset button :-|

Thanks again for comments (sorry for the typos in the OP)

regards Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

Are you aware of any information on PVE on the web? I couldn't find any and find it hard to comment on your design without knowing what the PVE feature does.

By the way, since this feature is Cisco/Linksys-specific, you might be able to get better help by posting to comp.dcom.sys.cisco.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Based on my very limited understanding of PVE (whatever I could find on the web), it looks like it should work. You've essentially create two loop-free networks, one that connects to the internal stuff and one that connects to the firewall/internet. Broadcasts such as ARPs from the client would go to both.

A couple of things that you might want to consider. You have several single points of failure, but depending on your need that may be OK.

Some questions for you to research:

- Are you running spanning tree?

- If so, how does that interact with PVE?

- If not, are you 100% certain that the network will always be loop free? It looks like a teacher can't cause a loop by accidentally plugging the cable into an incorrect port so that part looks good. Are there any other folks that play with cables?

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

I thought that posting linksys stuff in a cisco group would be like cursing in the chorch - despite that linksys is a cisco subsidary...

If I get flamed I'll tell them that you sent me ;-)

Thanks for your comments, Anoop

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

No

n.a.

If we get this up and running I will put in a relay switch which short-circuit one of the 'blue' pairs. Then all closets will be locked, so I'm pretty sure...

Geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn

Actually, people can do some pretty nifty things with hubs without having access to the wiring closet. :-)

The safest thing would have been to run STP but with your configuration that would break things which is why I'm not sure I would be comfortable with the design. But I can't think of an alternative either.

Anoop

Reply to
anoop

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.