Linksys Private Virtual Edge scenario...

Hi,

I was advised to post this here as Linksys is a Cisco subsidary ;-)

We wonder if we can use the Linksys SRW2016 PVE feature to be able to enable/disable internet access in selected classrooms in a school. I think I have figured out how to set up the PVE stuff. However if possible I just want to have confirmed that this solution (how I think it should be set up) is going to work.

A simplified sketch of the setup can be found here:

formatting link
I plan to divide the switch into two PVEs, first for port 1-7 with port

8 as uplink. Port 8 is connected to the domain controller etc and this is also the port which should be used to administer the switch.

The second PVE (blue connections) is for port 9-15 with port 16 as uplink. The latter is connected to the firewall. This is for distributing the internet connection. In each classroom the teacher should be able to connect/disconnect the blue cable to the classroom switch (internet connection for his classroom) without affecting the other classrooms' internet access.

Will this work, and if yes is there any side effects? We have no spanning trees or other 'features' enabled..

How about administering the switch, this is normally assigned to VLAN ID #1, how will the be affected using PVE...? I need to administer this box through its port 8 and I don't want to lock myself out as this switch has no reset button :-|

If this will not work, do you have other suggestions to solve this not needing huge investments ;-) ??

Thanks for any comment or feedback on this. The user guide for the SRW20nn switch series can be found at the Support / Downloads section at

formatting link

regards

geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn
Loading thread data ...

Hi Geir,

You may also wish to investigate Tek-Tips Linksys Networking Solutions Forum:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese Cisco Technical Forums

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.