NAT question...

I don't know if this is the right group to post this, as it is a NAT question... anyways...

I currently have 1 shared ADSL connection on my network of 10 PC's... To add bandwith I hope to add another connnection from another provider.. to also make my network more robust (I won't rely on one provider). My question is it possible to share 2 Internet connections over the same network using microsoft's ICS? Or do I have to use another type of NAT routing software/hardware? any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
ggl_6
Loading thread data ...

While it's possible, a far better method, would be to use one of those cheap firewall/router boxes.

Reply to
James Knott

How does one configure ICS to balance the load between two ports?

Where does one find a "cheap firewall/router box" with load sharing and failover?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sorry, I missed the part about the 2nd connection.

Reply to
James Knott

In article , ggl_6 wrote: :I don't know if this is the right group to post this, as it is a NAT :question... anyways...

comp.protocols.tcp-ip or comp.security.firewalls might have been better.

:I currently have 1 shared ADSL connection on my network of 10 PC's... :To add bandwith I hope to add another connnection from another :provider.. to also make my network more robust (I won't rely on one :provider). My question is it possible to share 2 Internet connections :over the same network using microsoft's ICS? Or do I have to use :another type of NAT routing software/hardware? any suggestions :appreciated.

Chances are that it will not work the way you want it to. You need some way of determining which outgoing requests will go to which provider; and you need to understand that when you send a request via one provider that -all- of the traffic in response is going to come through that provider; and you need a mechanism for automatically detecting failure of one of the providers and switching over to the other... ideally without having the existing connections go down.

We deal with this sort of question a fair bit in comp.dcom.sys.cisco . Here are a couple of threads in which some of the issues are discussed:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.