D-Link DGE-550SX tuning.

I have a Windows 98 Second Edition system and a Windows XP Professional system connected by a pair of D-Link DGE-550SX Gigabit fiber Ethernet adapters.

The W98SE system is on an 850 MHz system, the WINXPP system is on a 2.4 GHz system.

Using the default parameters I get about 300 Mbits/second with the PassMark Performance Test V5.0 Advanced Networking test using TCP, with the slower system as the server. Using the slower system as the client only gets to about 100 Mbits/second. In both cases the CPU on the slower machine is the limiting factor.

I used the out of the box parameters. Which are 802.1Q/1P VLAN tagging Disabled Connection Type AutoSense Flow Control Enabled GVRP Enabled Inter-Frame Spacing 4352 bit times Jumbo Frame Support Disabled Network Address Receive Buffers 64 TCP/IP Checksum Offload Enabled Transmit Buffers 128 Tx Threshold 256 VLAN ID 6

Can anyone suggest any changes for better performance?

If I Enable Jumbo Frame Support will things break if one of the systems winds up being a router for the other? I.e., will a Jumbo Frame be sent between the two machines and then not be able to continue to a third machine via an Ethernet adapter that doesn't support Jumbo Frames?

Is it possible that I can tune things so that the speed doesn't increase but the CPU load decreases? Perhaps using bigger Inter-Frame Spacing or fewer transmit buffers.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING PAST THIS LINE

Reply to
Mark Fineman
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.