Dropping Packets on a 2621XM

I have been getting drops on the serial port of this router. I talked to Cisco Tech Support. They suggested changing the Queueing strategy to fifo and had me increase the hold-queue from 64 to 128. When this did not help they had me increase the hold-queue from 128 to 192 and finally to 256. I am still getting drops. I have included two configurations of the serial port, one when I noticed the problem and one as it is now, after trying the changes suggested by Cisco Tech Support. The serial interface is connected to a T1 line.

There is 53248K/12288K bytes of memory on the router.

In the first configuration there are some CRC errors. These stopped after sufficient flogging of my ISP.

Does anyone have a suggestion on dealing with the drops?

Thanks

Config when I noticed the problem:

Serial0/1 is up, line protocol is up Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial Internet address is 135.233.71.158/30 MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 17/255, rxload 135/255 Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set Keepalive set (10 sec) Last input 00:00:07, output 00:00:00, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 2w3d Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:

50748 Queueing strategy: weighted fair Output queue: 0/1000/64/507481 (size/max total/threshold/drops) Conversations 0/124/256 (active/max active/max total) Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated) 5 minute input rate 816000 bits/sec, 133 packets/sec 5 minute output rate 106000 bits/sec, 110 packets/sec 62277187 packets input, 3875469405 bytes, 0 no buffer Received 147462 broadcasts, 0 runts, 4 giants, 0 throttles 345 input errors, 21 CRC, 277 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 45 abort 54754495 packets output, 815287838 bytes, 0 underruns 0 output errors, 0 collisions, 11 interface resets 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out 6 carrier transitions DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up

Config after making the changes suggested by Ciso Tech Support:

Serial0/1 is up, line protocol is up Hardware is PowerQUICC Serial Internet address is 135.233.71.158/30 MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1536 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec, reliability 255/255, txload 48/255, rxload 12/255 Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set Keepalive set (10 sec) Last input 00:00:04, output 00:00:00, output hang never Last clearing of "show interface" counters 1d00h Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops:

62250 Queueing strategy: fifo Output queue :0/256 (size/max) 5 minute input rate 78000 bits/sec, 100 packets/sec 5 minute output rate 292000 bits/sec, 117 packets/sec 4024805 packets input, 629187276 bytes, 0 no buffer Received 8653 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles 0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort 4174976 packets output, 1232819503 bytes, 0 underruns 0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets 0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out 0 carrier transitions DCD=up DSR=up DTR=up RTS=up CTS=up
Reply to
tman
Loading thread data ...

The first output shows a cosmetic error - the "Total output drops" count is 50748, the drop count under "Output queue" is 507481, but that's probably not relevant. Since you have a T1 which is presumably being fed by a 10M or 100M ethernet drops are to be expected. Either you have bursty traffic or you have TCP flows which are adapting to the available bandwidth by increasing their rate until packets are dropped. Drops in that situation are (usually) normal. What systems/services do you have on either side of this router?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Just to expand slightly.

Drops are more than just "normal" - TCP is specifically designed to cause drops. Wherever you have end stations on faster links than an intermediate link you can expect TCP to create drops.

Worry if there are no drops.

The idea is that TCP probes the network to determine it's capacity and it does this by filling it up until it overflows (i.e. causes drops) . TCP then backs off and immediately starts probing again. TCP therefore constantly causes drops in the network design discussed. Thre can of course be factors that prevent TCP from generating enough traffic in which case there will not be drops.

By adding buffers you may well be degreasing the preformance of your network when TCP is driving the network to capacity. The buffers do nothing more than add delay to the packets since they just have to wait in a longer queue.

Make sure TCP selective Ack is turned on, it is in most modern IP stacks, and stop worrying:-) Oh and probably get rid of those buffers.

Turning off weighted fair queuing is probably a bad idea. Just put it all back.

Drops are good.

Reply to
Bod43

Indeed, but we don't know whether the OP's traffic is TCP at all - it might be all VOIP for instance - so I didn't want to assume.

Again if we'd had a bit more background I'd have said the same thing - the advice from Cisco seemed the opposite of what I would have expected. On the other hand if the traffic is known to be, say, some bursty UDP-based protocol then increasing the size of the buffer to accommodate bursts and eliminate retries would be a good thing. We also don't know the topology of the rest of the network.

Usually, in this kind of situation. :-)

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

It is an edge router. ISP on serial, my network on ethernet.

Thanks.

Reply to
tman

so if you want to get a better understanding of what is going on - you might want to set up a monitoring tool (PRTG trial version or similiar ilk) and poll the router via SNMP and take a look at the correlation between link utilization and output drops

Reply to
Merv

OK, so what is connected on the ethernet and what kind of traffic does it source and sink? Do you host a server or servers on your ethernet? Are there desktop clients (or the equivalent) there? Is the traffic web browsing (in which direction?), or file serving/sharing (peer to peer or otherwise), or Skype/VOIP or other multimedia stuff, or something else completely? If you don't know that, or if it's not immediately obvious to you, then like Merv I suggest you set up some kind of monitoring - MRTG/PRTG or the like - and see if the drops correspond to levels of traffic (though if it's very bursty UDP you might not be able to tell easily). It's notable that balance of traffic counts in the two sets of stats you originally gave are not the same which suggests that traffic isn't simply between providers of traffic on one side of the link and consumers on the other.

There are also things you may be able to do on the router to reveal the traffic flows but I'm not sure what to suggest - I haven't done this kind of thing on a router for a long time and never on a 2600 series, so I'd think of ip accounting or netflow, but they may not be appropriate here.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

additionally

configure "load-interval 30" on all interfaces so that you can see a more "instantanious view of traffic on each of the interface - 5 minute averages are generally not useful.

Also post the output of "show ip traffic" to see if anything of interest is revealed.

I think in later versions of IOS you can issue a clear ip traffic command - perhaps 12.3 or 12. 4 - so try that - it is easier than power cycling the router ;-)) or calculating diffs for the various counters displayed in the output of show ip traffic

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.