Junk powerline extenders

I had one of my folks pick up a Netgear HDX-101 powerline adapter kit with the idea that we'd network our new T&A clock to the office computers without having to trench.

The total wire distance from the clock to the breaker, then from the breaker to the office is 70'. Both outlets on the same leg of single- phase 110. No carrier detected.

So I brought them both into the office. If the two are connected on the same branch, and are less than 20' apart, we get carrier. If they're on different branches of the same leg, no carrier.

So I plugged them both into the same outlet, and did some tests.

1) they're rated at 200mb/s but have only 10/100 ports... HUH? 2) they averaged under 8mb/s throughput when on the same outlet. Ok... maybe they're swamping... Move them to two outlets eight feet apart on the same branch.... 7mb/s.

I'd say this is not the way to stream video... no?

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Loading thread data ...

Going to Amazon to check buyer's comments on this product you can see why I've been recommending that people go with the netgear 102 or 103 (104 is same) and NOT with 101s. There are good reviews, but the bad ones are telling in this case:

Quote:

I attempted to upgrade my electric wiring based network from Netgear XE104's (rated at 85Mbps) to the Netgear HDX101's (rated at 200Mbps). The performance of the HDX101 network was substantially slower and less reliable than the XE104 network with exactly the same devices attached to the XE104's and the HDX101's. I did not have both networks operating at the same time even though a HDX101 network supposedly can co-exist with a XE104 network. I highly recommend the Netgear XE104, but was very disappointed in the HDX101. I would not even recommend the HDX101 for use on the same electrical circuit in the same room. The HDX101 also becomes very warm in operation. ___________________________

Quote: Beware: HDX[B]101 doesn't follow the HomePlug-AV standard..... It follows a demonstrably inferior, European-brewed standard. Netgear simply jumped the gun and didn't wait for HomePlug-AV chipsets to become available. This HDX[B]101 product is a dead end, because HomePlug-AV will win the standards war.

If you truly need higher speed than is attainable from HomePlug-Turbo products such as Netgear's XE104 (85Mbits/s best-case raw channel bitrate), then wait a little while for HomePlug-AV-compliant ("200Mb/ s") products to hit the market in the USA.... _____________________________

Comment: that's an old post - HomePlug-AV is now availible, I believe.

Here's an comment that may actually help with what you now have:

Quote: One thing that we noticed though was the transfer speeds still weren't that great. After some playing, a friend we stick a switch between the router (linksys) and the powerline ethernet adapter, and that did it - transfer speeds went through the roof (at the advertised speeds)............ I recommend buying a cheap switch (got mine for $10) and inserting that between the router and the "main" powerline adapter and you'll be pleased.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsl

wow - I'm surprised they didn't work better for you

formatting link
if the 85rmbps units would work better...

years ago we used some Netgear telephone wiring bridges from the office to the loading dock, and they worked great..... but don't see anything like that listed anymore

Reply to
ps56k

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.