x-10 outlet chatters

When ever my program sends a signal to turn on the outlet, the outlet chatters and the light blinks on and off, then stays off. If I use the remote to turn on the same outlet, all works fine, if I use the remote interface on the computer to turn on the light, again, all works fine. It is just when the computer program sends the signal that there is a failure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Reply to
Dimbo Spams
Loading thread data ...

I have owned two X10 recepticals and both began to crap out like that after a year or so. Junk.

"Dimbo Spams" wrote in message news:9KydndxyO_5NEWbanZ2dnUVZ_tijnZ2d@integraonline... When ever my program sends a signal to turn on the outlet, the outlet chatters and the light blinks on and off, then stays off. If I use the remote to turn on the same outlet, all works fine, if I use the remote interface on the computer to turn on the light, again, all works fine. It is just when the computer program sends the signal that there is a failure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Reply to
John J. Bengii

I recently had an experience that caused me to ask one of our experts off line about chatter. I was tested modules that had previously been "chatterers" before I cut them up for parts and lo and behold, they no longer chattered! I'm of the mind there are two kinds of chatter: One caused by a physical failure of the plastic cam controlling the 110VAC relay and the other caused by some sort of powerline "environment" problem.

I based that conclusion on examining ones that have physically failed and chatter all the time as well as examining units that have no apparent cracks and yet chatter in certain situations. This may start a holy war of sorts because all I have are some miraculously revived chattering appliance modules and no particular theory of operation. Even so, let's try to work this through because it sounds as if your problem correlates with my experience that chatter is not always a physical problem.

Can you swap that module out for others to see if the chatter persists? The two fairly old appliance modules that I've written "Chatters" on *twice* (which means they chattered in their original locations AND when re-tested elsewhere) that are now running the basement lights without issue leading me to conclude that electrical environment is at fault. I realize there might be other issues at play, though. A slightly cracked or worn cam might work mounted horizontally, but not vertically. These units are plugged into grounded circuits now, but they might have been plugged in using a three-wire adapter before when they were chattering. Unfortunately, I did not record that information. I also recall that when they chattered, they were plugged into an outlet strip that had other modules, including a TM751, into the same strip.

Anyway, if you can give us more details about your gear (what type of controller, modules, whether they are modded or not) and what you have that you can swap out we might be able to figure this out. Do you have multiple X-10 RF receiver modules installed? That's something I used to have before that I don't have now which further muddies the waters in terms of running the problem to ground.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

ters and the light blinks on and off, then stays off. If I use the remote to= turn on the same outlet, all works fine, if I use the remote interface on t= he computer to turn on the light, again, all works fine. It is just when the= computer program sends the signal that there is a failure. Any ideas? Thank= s in advance

All of my X10 outlets chattered like that then finally failed completely. They were all Chinese ones re-branded by ACT and a couple of them were HomePro but they both looked identically re-branded. Why ACT would want to put their name on such crap is beyond me. I would have to hit my switch 4 or 5 times before the relay would (by sheer chance) land on the desired state (on or off). And the relays were so loud the dog would jump.

Reply to
RickH

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.