Help with BayStack 450-24T

Hi, I need to reset the password on a BayStack 450-24T - the original password has been lost/forgotten. I believe that there is a reset possibility by using some hash on the mac address. Can anybody give me any pointers please.

Please reply to the group and cc to geoff (at) palaemon.this_to_be_removed.co.uk

Thanks

Reply to
Geoff
Loading thread data ...

In article , Geoff wrote: :Hi, I need to reset the password on a BayStack 450-24T - the original :password has been lost/forgotten. I believe that there is a reset :possibility by using some hash on the mac address. Can anybody give me any :pointers please.

The hash algorithm is not public knowledge, so I don't know of anyone other than Nortel who can supply the backdoor password.

On the other hand, someone suggested the other day that if you connect up the console and interrupt it when booting, that you could use the 'i' (initialize configuration) rom command to clear the configuration.

I don't recall ever having seen that rom menu, but I wasn't looking for it before. I did, though, encounter that rom menu last night on a Baystack 5510. You could experiment on the 450; menus like that are usually invoked by sending a BREAK signal within a few seconds of powerup. (Note: BREAK doesn't work in most versions of Hyperterm, so use most any other terminal program such as Kermit.)

Reply to
Walter Roberson

snipped-for-privacy@ibd.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in news:cm91j8$r25$ snipped-for-privacy@canopus.cc.umanitoba.ca:

Thanks Walter, I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back. I'll use a Wyse 85 BTW.

Reply to
Geoff

The only way to reset the 450's it to connnect open switch to the one you need reset, by cascade cables, and restet all.

It works, I did it.

If you have any quastions let me know.

------------------------------------- Geoff wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.lans.ethernet - 2523 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
usedpc4u

In article , usedpc4u wrote: :The only way to reset the 450's it to connnect open switch to the one you :need reset, by cascade cables, and restet all.

There is also a backdoor password, but it is tied to the MAC, and the algorithm is not publically known. Nortel will only release the password if you have a support contract, according to people who have tried.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.