Direct connect Gigabit/Fast Ethernet

I need to temporarily directly connect two PCs. One has onboard Gigabit Ethernet, the other has a PCI Fast Ethernet card. Given one would ordinarily connect two Gigabit Ethernet adapters with a straight-through cable and two Fast Ethernet adapters with a crossover cable I'm confused as to which I should use in this instance.

Sorry if this has been asked before but it seems to be the one configuration not addressed (for good or ill) on the Ethernet related sites I've seen.

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Use a crossover. Gigabit autonegotiates the wiremap, 100TX does not, which is why gigabit doesn't require a crossover cable--if you use one it will still be happy.

Reply to
J. Clarke Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.