Cascading Wireless/Wired Routers

I currently am running a Motorola Wireless Router (WR850G) and just bought a SMC Barricade router w/printer port (SMCBR14up-ca) which was on sale as a potential backup.

But now I am interested in finding out whether I could cascade them with the Wireless one being "Master" and SMC "Slave".

Even as I was advised that routers are not designed to perform as such, but I was told at the same that this may work with the below: 1) connecting them with a cross-over cable (a straight thru may work with auto cross-over), 2) disabling the DHCP server of the 2nd Router, 3) duplicating the TCP/IP address of the first router into the 2nd one.

I am trying to connect:

1) the wirless router: a Win98 laptop with wireless card 2) the wired router/printer : a XPPro desktop and a XP notebook ( easy to access the printer)

******************************************************* Now, my Questions:

1) will this work as outlined above?

2) Cross Over-- 2.a) how to find out whether the router has auto-cross over 2.b) any particular order of the CrossOver cable being plugged into the two routers? 2.c) any port of the Master Route to be used?

3) Can/How the Win98 laptop or any other wireless notebooks be able to access the printer port thru the wireless router?

4) How to set-up/configure to plug-in the Slave Router without causing major problems (e.g. service disruptions/upsets etc) to the current wireless router/IPS set-up?

Many thanks for the comments/ suggestions / on-line instructions on this.

Reply to
lcheni
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.