Bridged LAN

The question is regarding Repeaters and Bridges.

Both Repeaters and Bridges introduce delays on an Ethernet Network. Brigdes just dont forward un-necessary packets to all the connected segments (besides other things).

What I want to know is, suppose, a "repeater R" and a "bridge B" introduce the same amount of delay on a LAN. Then, will the maximum distance between any two nodes on a LAN constructed using the repeater (R), be the same, compared to, the one constructed using the brigde (B)? Or, can this vary because of the segmenting properties of a Bridge...

Can you point me to a link which describes "What can be the maximum length of a LAN, based on a Bridge?"

Regards, ~ Jagmeet ~

Reply to
Jagmeet Singh Hanspal
Loading thread data ...

Yes - although repeaters are a few bit times, but most bridges store and forward complete packets.

they dont.

Then, will the maximum

i think you are missing something basic - bridges connect ethernets together, repeater connect cable segments within a single ethernet.

since bridges store and forward packets, a good bridge (i.e. with a low internal processing delay), used to connect low traffic LANs, will have a delay that increases with the length of packet being forwarded

there isnt one - see above. Some bridge functions such as spanning tree impose limits, but they are in terms of the number of bridges across a path - if you need the source then try the

formatting link
site - i think you need 802.1D

FWIW i have bridged a set of "LAN"s across a WAN a long time ago between US and UK

Reply to
stephen

Hi Stephen

I am concluding from your reply that a bridge connects two different Ethernets together, and therefore it creates different Collision Domains on its either end. It certainly introduces delay due to store&forward but this does not limit its length.

This answers my query.

Thankx, ~ Jagmeet ~

Reply to
Jagmeet Singh Hanspal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.