Auto-Neogotiation

I'm trying to find out any tools that can help me see the auto- neogotiation frames (pages) that are generated on the link. Are there any tools PC Based? I'm trying for GbEthernet and 10GbEthernet.

Thanks Sridhar

Reply to
Sridhar
Loading thread data ...

Use NMAP for this.

Reply to
CK

Hi Sridhar,

to begin with, there is no auto-negotiation with 10 GbEthernt and

1GbEthernet concerning the speed. 1 GbEthernet is able to negotiate full or half duplex but is for performance reasons used in full duplex mode. There is no auto-negotiation like with 10/100 MbEthernet. !0 GbEthernet will have to be used full duplex only.

Auto-negotiation pulses are generated at layer one. They can not be redirected to another port on any switch and router I know. They are used to establish the link and, very important to know, to maintain the link. If for a longer period of time no data is sent auto-negotiation pulses will be generated. To make them visible you would have to attach an ascilloscope to the wires (2+3) using a differentiation module.

Regards H.G.Schlagregen Instructor

"CK" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@p47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Heinz-Gerd Schlagregen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.