Misconfigured Clients

Hello,

A while back I had heard a technology and wanted to ask you guys.

In a hotel we would like to give internet access to the clients. We have 8 switches connected to each other. What do I need to use in order to take clients to the internet regardless of their Ip addresses. The technology I am looking for is built in nomadix appliences but I do not know what it is.

For example clients has 192.168.0.2 gw 192.168.0.1 configured. He comes and connects his cable to the network. Our network is

172.168.0.0. Switch is 172.168.0.1 and the internet router is 172.168.0.2. And he can connect to internet with his own ip without even needing dhcp?

I hope I was able to describe it properly.

Thank you.

Reply to
Ozgur Ozdemircili
Loading thread data ...

The question is probably more appropriate in comp.protocols.tcp-ip, but yes. You could use a DHCP server to give clients an IP address to use while connected to your network. And you can also provide Mobile IP services, by installing a "foreign agent" in your network. This permits clients with permanent IP addresses to pretend like they're still connected to their home network. RFC 2002.

Bert

Reply to
Albert Manfredi

In the usual case you would want a separate wire to the router for each such connection, but it might be possible without that.

Unlike most networks, the hosts on your net won't (usually) need to talk to each other. As more than one might have the same address, that would complicate the usual IP routing situation.

I believe if you implement the logic of a NAT router for each port, though not necessarily separate physical routers, it can work. Each host will have to be identified by its MAC address, and the data processed accordingly. This should be a relatively simple change to the usual NAT router logic for someone who really understands NAT and IP.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.