Apple AUI Question

Hello! I have here a bundle of Apple AUIs, both the powered, and one or two of the unpowered varieties. All of these are wearing that odball connector that Apple had designed for them to connect to the hardware. Now the question: Does anyone know where this connector is documented?

Now for the reason behind this, I originally bought them from a shop in Manhattan at throw-away prices because I felt that the powered AUI device would eventually be useful. However with this connector that Apple chose to use, this makes it nearly impossible. Also the case is as you'd expect molded plastic. The reason behind all of this is also available for anyone who wishes to use it to support my request.

-- Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net "This signature prefers to remain unavailable for comment."

Reply to
The Eighth Doctor
Loading thread data ...

It is documented, I believe in "Inside Appletalk", but why do you want to know?

The main difference from AUI, other than the connector, is that it uses a 5V power supply.

If you want to connect an AAUI transceiver to an AUI port it can probably be done with a 5V regulator. The other way around takes an external power source. Apple used to sell an AAUI to AUI device that was line powered.

I believe that the power supplies on some Macs couldn't support AUI, so AAUI was the solution. (Other than that Apple always likes to do things different.)

Ordinary 10baseT to AUI transceivers should be available real cheap by now on eBay. Much cheaper than it will cost you to convert an AAUI transceiver.

-- glen

Reply to
glen herrmannsfeldt

had

Hello! Thank you Glen. That is a big help. However I should mention that I've got lots of the other kind of AUI devices here. Those arrived via approximately the same methods, although one or two were removed from service. Or is it seven or eight?

I'll try a search using that term you gave me.

-- Gregg drwho8 atsign att dot net

Reply to
The Eighth Doctor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.