Looparound pairs? Google wasn't interested

Hello! Does the term "looparound pairs" mean anything? I came across it in a bit of fiction which takes place about 24 to 26 years ago, when the I'net was still growing up. Google wasn't interested in the term. The book had a good description, but I'm wondering if it is a real telco term that swept past me.

And it is fiction. Not the famous true crime book which took place five years later.

-- Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com "This signature wants to sleep."

Reply to
gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail
Loading thread data ...

You might get better answers by googling on the phrase "loop around test."

Reply to
James Carlson

Is that the same as what I know as loopback?

Rik

Reply to
Rik

Reply to
gregarican

Hello! Very true. Essentially the book, a work of fiction from the Doctor Who series of novels takes place around 1981 or 1982, perhaps as late as

1983. It describes the usual behavior of hackers and phreaks, and even how some of them went legit. It gets some of the facts wrong or muddied concerning the hardware used by the heroes of the story, (which I expected) but the ideas are good. However the true crime book I am talking about took place in 1986 to 1987, that was "Cuckoo's Egg", with Cliff Stoll, and he describes in detail why the ideas behind security online was a myth then. That was why I stated that my book, that brought me here to ask that question, was not the more famous of the two.

And James, thank you. Your suggestion worked, and Google threw up enough hits to answer the question properly.

It also raised an issue concerning computer hardware, that I shall take up elsewhere.

-------- Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com "This signature wants to sleep."

Reply to
gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.