WS-C3550

Hi everyone I have a 3550 and the customer that returned it said that port 7 was bad. How exactly do i go about testing the port? any command that will show the statuses of each port? Thank You

Reply to
SamPasic
Loading thread data ...

Put port 7 as an access port in a vlan (pick one), connect a pc or laptop to it. Connect another PC in another port (pick one), but ensure that it is set as an access port in the same vlan as port 7. Put both nodes in the same layer 3 network (192.168.0.1 and

192.168.0.2 as an example - with 255.255.255.0 netmask), and run ping tests. If that works, then layer 2 is working appropriately. Its possible that it has a higher level problem with port 7, but unlikely. Make sure you match speed/duplex settings as well on ports/ pcs or laptops.

Show ip int brief will show ports. Show interface f0/7 or g0/7 should show interface statistics to see if something obvious is wrong. If the port refuses to come up when you do the stuff above, then the port may indeed be bad (make sure you put 'no shut' on both ports).

Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks for your reply. I am really a newbie at this stuff. Would it be possible for you to give me step by step instructions. I am starting for my CCNA like in a few months and all I do at this company is usually small stuff like password recovery and show versions and stuff like that. If its not too much to ask could u give me step by step command instructions? thank you

Reply to
SamPasic

Just my personal opinion, but: IMHO, Yes, it -is- too much to ask for step by step command instructions to test everything that might be wrong about a port on a 3550. The 3550 is a "Layer 3 Switch", which means that it is really a router, with the usual layer 2 operations and routing; and it has extensive QoS facilities as well. Your customer might have seen anything from link failures to spanning tree problems, right up to QoS problems. Detailing all of the commands to check all of the possibilities would be a lot of work.

Someone in your company must have dealt with the customer; what did the customer say was wrong with the port?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

If you do not have a Cisco CCO web site access you should register

cco.cisco.com

You may want to check out the Cisco doc "Resetting Catalyst Switches to Factory Defaults"

formatting link

Reply to
Merv

I got it to factory settings thats not the issue im having. I also am registered at Cisco. I just need someone to please tell me how to ping test a C3550, as in step by step commands and what all I need to do it. This one is returned and according to the customer, Port 7 is bad and I need to test that to verify. Thank you

Reply to
SamPasic

config t int f0/1 switchport mode access switchport access vlan 2 no shut int f0/7 switchport mode access switchport access vlan 2 no shut

May need to go into vlan database mode and create vlan 2, else just use vlan 1 or whatever. Plug the nodes into both ports (make sure speed/duplex matches), if its auto on pc side, make sure its auto on switch side).

IP the nodes per my previous posting, and ping. See what happens. However, I completely agree with the other posters that this ONLY verifies basic layer 2/3 connectivity, and who knows what your customer was trying to do. Could be trunking, QoS, or any number of things. Could also just be a lack of knowledge of what they were doing. Things to keep in mind.....

Reply to
Trendkill

Like Walter has said, the switch is also a layer 3 switch, which providing step by step instructions to test is impossible.

If you have the switch set to factory defaults:

Test layer 2 connectivity, plug a PC in port 7 and another PC in any other port, setup each PC on the same network and ping each other, if it works then layer 2 is working fine.

Your client may have just enabled a configuration that disabled port 7.

Reply to
Chad Mahoney

ide quoted text -

THANK YOU EVERYONE I GOT IT WORKING special thanks to trendkill

Reply to
SamPasic

With the limited knowledge you have of the device, it becomes increasingly important that you get a clear indication from the customer, what constitutes "bad".

What did they see, what did they experience that lead them to their conclusion?

Best Regards, News Reader

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
News Reader

In all honesty the customer probably didn't know how to setup this device. 3550's are fun pieces of equipment.....

Any how instead of going in and assigning all these ports to vlans just delete the vlan.dat file and reboot. That will put everything back on a default level playing field.

You will have to use the PING command to test layer2 connectivity even though Ping is a layer 3 tool. Once you verify that pinging works double check the switch's CAM table and see that the MAC it found matches the MAC addr of your workstation. Beyond that theres nothing else to prove whether its working or not. If you think there is a QOS problem, then don't run QOS, it's that simple.

Consider selling a Dell powerconnect, HP, or big linksys switch next time...

:)

Reply to
Cliff

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.