Wireless Access and VLANs

Guys

We have an issue with our wireless network I'd like to try and discuss and learn a bit more about please.

Our staff are allowed wireless access to the network via MAC authentication onto VLAN 1

We need to allow students wireless access onto the VLAN 2 (our student network)

I could go down the route of buying more AP's and placing these in VLAN 2 and setting MAC authentication as per our VLAN 1 model. At this point I'm not interested in the merits of MAC sniffing but just as a crude way of allowing/disallowing access to the LAN's

Is there any way of creating a new VLAN, placing the AP's into this VLAN, (call it VLAN 3 for arguements sake) and then setting some kind of redirection on the AP to say that if the user account resides on the staff network give them an IP address from VLAN 1 and if the user accout resides in VLAN 2 give them an IP address for VLAN 2.

I presume there will need to be some kind of back end authentication/server/service to figure out where the user accounts lives

Hope this makes sense

Steve

Reply to
Steve Ray
Loading thread data ...

802.1X is what you are looking for I believe. It allows user based authentication and the assignment of specific network attributes to those users based on machine, account, etc, including vlan assignments. Could be other easier ways, but none immediately come to mind.

formatting link

Reply to
Trendkill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.