Cisco Wireless Questions

So we are using the Cisco 1240AG Access Points for our wireless network. We don't have controllers yet, so everything is stored on the AP's. I am trying to setup on of the AP's as a repeater using the A radio's. I don't fully understand how this works. We currently have

3 VLAN's for our wireless netowrk. Do I need to setup a seperate VLAN for the A radio? If not, does it matter which VLAN for the A radio? I am following the instructions given by Cisco, but I am still having problems getting the two AP's to associate. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

I worked on this quite sometime back. Would like to help. Exact commands you can see on Cisco website.

This should be done by creating a new SSID which would be marked as 'Infrastructure SSID'. SSID would be created in both the radios and second radio would connect to the first one. Both radios should be using the same channel and same encryption setting if defined. Once they are connected then you can create your other user SSIDs.

As a design perspective, I would suggest that you should use a small subnet soley for the purpose of managing your APs ( IP addresses of interface BVI 0). Users subnets should be different from the management one. I recommend static IP's for all the AP's so as to specify their location specially in case you are not using controller.

Hope this helps.

AdnaN...

Reply to
AddY

Missed one thing. You have to define the second radio on Repeater mode rather than root mode.

Reply to
AddY

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.