Unable to write new file to NVRAM on 2522

Hi,

Does anyone know why I am unable to write new files to the NVRAM?

R7/FR_SWITCH#sh ver | i IOS IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.1(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

R7/FR_SWITCH#dir nvram: Directory of nvram:/

1 -rw- 1923 startup-config 2 ---- 5 private-config

32762 bytes total (30839 bytes free)

R7/FR_SWITCH#copy start nvram:test Destination filename [test]? %Error opening nvram:test (No such file or directory) R7/FR_SWITCH#

I have 2610XM's and 2611XM's that have no issue, its only my 2522 for some reason and I can't figure out why.

Regards

Peter

Reply to
Peter Danes
Loading thread data ...

~ Hi, ~ ~ Does anyone know why I am unable to write new files to the NVRAM? ~ ~ R7/FR_SWITCH#sh ver | i IOS ~ IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-I-L), Version 12.1(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE ~ (fc1) ~ ~ R7/FR_SWITCH#dir nvram: ~ Directory of nvram:/ ~ ~ 1 -rw- 1923 startup-config ~ 2 ---- 5 private-config ~ ~ 32762 bytes total (30839 bytes free) ~ ~ R7/FR_SWITCH#copy start nvram:test ~ Destination filename [test]? ~ %Error opening nvram:test (No such file or directory) ~ R7/FR_SWITCH# ~ ~ I have 2610XM's and 2611XM's that have no issue, its only my 2522 for ~ some reason and I can't figure out why. ~ ~ Regards ~ ~ Peter

I guess it's a limitation of the 2500 nvram: filesystem; my 2511 running

12.0(28) behaves identically.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Hello, Peter!

PD> Does anyone know why I am unable to write new files to the NVRAM?

PD> R7/FR_SWITCH#copy start nvram:test PD> Destination filename [test]? PD> %Error opening nvram:test (No such file or directory) PD> R7/FR_SWITCH#

copy start flash:

?
Reply to
Andrew Lutov

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately that won't work either.

I did try copying to flash and got the following:

R7/FR_SWITCH#copy start flash:test **** NOTICE **** Flash load helper v1.0 This process will accept the copy options and then terminate the current system image to use the ROM based image for the copy. Routing functionality will not be available during that time. If you are logged in via telnet, this connection will terminate. Users with console access can see the results of the copy operation. ---- ******** ---- Proceed? [confirm]^C %Copy cancelled by user request. R7/FR_SWITCH#

Andrew Lutov wrote:

Reply to
Peter Danes

12.0(28) behaves
Reply to
Peter Danes

Remember that the 2500 series are run from flash routers - thus you cannot copy a file to flash unless you boot down to boot loader

I would be very surprised if the nvram or flash filesystem behaviour changes with newer images

Reply to
Merv

~ Remember that the 2500 series are run from flash routers - thus you ~ cannot copy a file to flash unless you boot down to boot loader ~ ~ I would be very surprised if the nvram or flash filesystem behaviour ~ changes with newer images

Yeah but nvram (on the 2500) is separate from flash, and is of course writeable (else how would "write mem" work?)

(But anyway, I did a quick case search now, and does turn out that you can create a new file in nvram only if you aren't running from flash. Still can't think quite why.)

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Perhaps it is the case that the file nvram:startup-config can be rewritten (ie wri me / copy run start) because the filename already exists in the nvram: filesystem but that one cannot create a new file in the nvram filesystem

Anyways - the behaviour ain't going change at the point in time ...

Reply to
Merv

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.