Trunking on a 870 series.

Hi guys,

do you know if on a trunk port it is possible to disable the default VLAN? As far as I know it tied to number 1 so the question could be is it possible not to allow teh default VLAN on 870 series?

I want to do that to avoid that PCs will be connected to the switch port of my router. I wouldn't block the access only to one MAC address because I agreed with the other network administrator to use a specific VLAN.

Do you have any clue? Or is that not possible at all?

TIA Alex.

Reply to
AM
Loading thread data ...

Hi guys,

do you know if on a trunk port it is possible to disable the default VLAN? As far as I know it is also tied to the number 1 so the question could be "is it possible not to allow teh default VLAN on 870 series"?

I want to do that to avoid that PCs will be connected to the switch port of my router. My router is connected to another device managed by another guy. I wouldn't block the access only to one MAC address because I agreed with the other network administrator to use a specific VLAN and I wouldn't force him to a specific MAC address.

Do you have any clue? Or is that not possible at all?

TIA Alex.

Reply to
AM

The 802.1Q standard mandates that the native VLAN be supported. Which doesn't actually answer your question, as vendors have been known to add nonstandard support for what you asked for.

Change the native VLAN to something that is not otherwise used. For example if you change the native VLAN to 999 then because you have no ports belonging to 999, no untagged traffic can be sourced from your switch towards the other device, and any untagged traffic you get from the other device will be distributed to all zero of the switch ports that are in VLAN 999.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

It seems that I can not chamge the default VLAN to something else and futhermore I can not have more than 3 VLANs beyond the default one (VLAN1)

Alex.

Reply to
AM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.