trouble with a switch

Hi,

I am having trouble with my switch. I purchased a Cisco ASA of which I am very happy with but due to this, I had to make a compromise on the switch. We have a single 48 port netgear switch with no VLANs configured, no trunks, etc. It is an unmanaged "smart" switch. You can specify a few settings through a web interface and that is it. I have some PCs that suddenly are not working. They get the DHCP from the server but can do absolutely nothing else. If I plug my laptop directly into the port on the switch, I experience the same thing - DHCP settings come through, but I cannot do anything else (intranet or internet). However, some ports work, and when I plug into them, everything works fine.

It appears that my switch is going bad. it is a Netgear FS50T2 Smart Switch.

Any suggestions? I realize this is a Cisco board but I appreciate any advice. This hopefully will give me the leverage to get a Cisco switch and spend a little more seeing as how we have only had this switch for 5 months.

Thanks.

Reply to
KDawg44
Loading thread data ...

We probably need more information, ie how this switch connects to the rest of your network, where your router/default gateway is, where the dhcp server is, and on what network......

If DHCP is working for all ports, then that means connectivity is being established, at least locally and to the DHCP server. I'm fairly certain from reading the specs on the FS750T2 that it supports trunking, so are you using trunking and vlans? Are the IP addresses all in the same scope? Are the default gateways different for the nodes that are working from the ones that are not working? Do a netstat -rn on these boxes and what is showing up in the route table? Can they ping the gateway? Can they ping other off-network devices? By name and/or IP address?

Reply to
Trendkill

We are relatively small so we have one scope and everything connects into the same switch. Gateways are all the same. We have one entrance/exit to/from the network. The PCs that aren't working cannot ping anything, even the DHCP server that they are getting the address from or the gateway. When I switched to another port on the switch, everything worked great. It is not DNS related as they cannot ping names or ip's. There is just the one default VLAN. I unplugged my laptop that worked from one port and plugged it into a port that was not working (directly, bypassing the patch panels to make sure it was not a wiring issue). My laptop did not work. I plugged the PC that was not working into a different port in the switch (one that I knew was working) and it worked just great. Now I am shuffling the important PCs into the ports that appear to be working but they seem to stop working one by one and I am starting to run out of options.

THanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
KDawg44

Have you logged into the switch and checked the vlans assignments on the ports? If I found the right documentation online, the switch supports trunking, which means it supports vlans. You need to make sure that all the ports are in the same vlan. So if your working port is in 1, and your non working is in 2, then make them all 1, or vice- versa if its the other way around.

Reply to
Trendkill

Yes I know all about VLANs and Trunking. There is only one VLAN. Netgear didnt argue with me when I explained it and they are overnighting me a replacement (which is good, I expected them to argue with me for a while, they were actually rather helpful so I give the customer service a good rating). Hopefully I can talk mgt to allowing a Cisco switch in my budget and have this one as a "backup"

Thanks for your help and support.

Reply to
KDawg44

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.