1841 or 2821?

We have 2 offices and a collocation facility office A, office B, and the colo. Office A has about 300 users and office B has about 400 users. The colo houses our intranet sites and we route our internet traffic from the offices through the colo. The colo currently has a Cisco 2620 with a network module for 4 T1s.

Office A (Cisco 1720) has 2 dedicated point to point T1s (multi-linked) to the colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting the office A and office B.

Office B (Cisco 1841) has 2 point to point T1s (multi-linked) to the colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting the office A and office B.

At office B we are removing the 2 data T1s to the colo and replacing it with one (1) 50 Mbs ethernet connection. So we need to replace the router in colo with a router that has 2 T1 ports (for office A) and 2 ethernet ports (1 for offce B and 1 for routing in the colo). I like the 1841 because it already has the 2 ethernet ports and I think with one (1) VWIC (CIS-VWIC-2MFT-T1) we can do what we want.

I need to be sure that the 1841 router will not have any processing limitations for what we want to do. Basically is the 1841 router big enough to handle this type application? or should I look at the 2821?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joel

Reply to
Joel
Loading thread data ...

Maximum throughput on an 1841 is 38.40Mbps, thats with no acls, basically nothing running on it shy of IP routing. Should answer your question right there.

Reply to
Brian V

Brian- Do mind telling me where you found this information? Everything I've read is different.

Brian V wrote:

Reply to
Joel

formatting link

Reply to
Brian V

why not keep the existing routers for the remaining T1s? it aint broke, so dont fix it.

then if a central router breaks you dont lose both office links....

Given the bandwidth i would go for a bigger router - maybe a 3825 or 3845?

Brian gave you the Cisco link for performance numbers - but it is worth pointing out these are absolute max numbers. Also your 50 Mbps Ethernet is actually 100 Mbps of thruput, since it is a full duplex service.

if you get a 100 Mbps Ethernet, but need to shape to 50 Mbps then this actually increases the processing load, so go for a fairly big unit.

Reply to
stephen

Stephen and Brian, thank you very much for your help.

Joel

Reply to
Joel

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.