THE Weirdest Cisco problem ever

We were asked to capture some traffic destined for internal ftp servers. Enabled SPAN on a 6K switch (monitoring 2 ports) and attached a capture dev= ice to the switch. Right after we enabled SPAN, we started getting complain= ts that some ASCII files uploaded to ftp servers were getting corrupt. Spec= ifically, in some file locations, character "|" was getting replaced with "= t".

Being a Cisco "expert", I told my users that the switch does layer 2/3 proc= essing and has no way of corrupting specific ASCII characters since it does= n't deal with that layer. My assumption was, that if SPAN was somehow intro= ducing noise to the packets, it would corrupt random bits and not specific = ASCII characters.

After a few weeks of endless complaints, I disabled SPAN and no corruption = has been reported since. WTF????

Thanks Ron

Reply to
unix
Loading thread data ...

Which software version did you use on what kind of a switch?

Regards, Christoph Gartmann

Reply to
Christoph Gartmann

I would do some slightly more targeted testing before concluding that that was/wasn't the exact cause of the issue.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.